New and used Performer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris Ford

I've had a Performer purchased new from Amazon for over a month now. I absolutely love it! I have a very small cheapo kettle for a weekender home. It may fit 3 burgers on it at a time. I came across a Craiglist listing today for $75. I immediately went and looked at it. The one touch cleaning mechanism needs to be replaced (cost is $11). I got it for $40! After 30 minutes with my pressure washer, I have an awesome performer. I've got some kingsfords in to break it in! This post is nothing short of gloating! Sorry!

The gloating continues...see picture. Ignitor works perfect and no rust (although grate is a little oxidized). Anyone know where to get the damper blades (i.e. one-touch system) locally? I've ordered from Weber before and it takes a long time. I've seen grates before at Home Depot, but not this part.

So, the Performer cost $40, the one-touch system will be less than $20 and if I replace the grate will be $20. The only difference between this one and the new one I bought last month is the thermometer doesn't appear to be Weber brand. But, it does appear to be original. Weber must have switched to a Weber logo at some point. I recommend all to continually check their local craigslist (unless you're in North Fla!). I am now gonna track down a Weber Smoky Mountain Cooker.$40 Performer Picture

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Gary McD:
My lime green Performer will be one year old on July 3rd! I couldn't live without it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yours is so unique! I love it.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Gary Michael:
Thats great. I bought mine months ago...and im still excited! The performer rocks. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If they were still selling red, I would have got one new. My new one is green. Also, the stainless steel is cool. The plastic side gets random stains. Don't know where they come from. They do rinse off with a lot of elbow grease or pressure washer.

The one touch cleaning system (the blades) you can usually get anywhere that sells Weber products, it is a common part. HD, Ace hardware etc. Cleaning them up is half the fun...its great to remove the old rusty, dirty nasty parts and replacing it w/ new shiny ones. Man...I want to find another older one. In another 20 years the S/S ones are going to be impossible to find in good condition..take care of them and hold onto them.

Congrats! I scored an '07 Performer recently, best $85 I have spent. The therm in your pic seems to be a replacement, the plastic performers have always came with the Weber branded therm. If you want a replacement they are $11 from Weber.

I always get my orders from Webers online store within a week. Not the quickest but not too bad. They charge $7 flat shipping on the entire order.

Chris,

If you have an OSH near you they seem to carry the one-touch blades. But if you plan to replace the grate, I'd suggest that you get the Stainless Steel grate directly from Weber. It's not that much more expensive than the regular grate and will last longer. The shipping from Weber is the same no matter what you order, so you might as well get the blades from them as well.

Bill

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bill Freiberger:
Chris,

If you have an OSH near you they seem to carry the one-touch blades. But if you plan to replace the grate, I'd suggest that you get the Stainless Steel grate directly from Weber. It's not that much more expensive than the regular grate and will last longer. The shipping from Weber is the same no matter what you order, so you might as well get the blades from them as well.

Bill </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks, purchased through weber. Strange, the stainless steel grate was the same price as the nickel plated. Didn't make sense and I asked the rep if she was sure and she was. It was $19.99 and the blades were $11 something.

I need to replace my grates too. Yeah its wierd, Ive always seen the S/S for a buck more at WEBER, no brainer. Think I will order a couple. Wish they had them at the local hardware store but all they have are the Nickel plated ones. Or...I may just drink a couple too many this weekend and order the cast iron..online...hmmm..and it will last forever...think I may just do that
icon_cool.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Gary Michael:
I need to replace my grates too. Yeah its wierd, Ive always seen the S/S for a buck more at WEBER, no brainer. Think I will order a couple. Wish they had them at the local hardware store but all they have are the Nickel plated ones. Or...I may just drink a couple too many this weekend and order the cast iron..online...hmmm..and it will last forever...think I may just do that
icon_cool.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Haven't you made some of the best bbq on your performer? If so, is it really worth $100+ for the cast iron? I wouldn't think so. It's the male in us wanting the latest greatest gadget. I'd stick with the $20 grate and $7 shipping (buy other parts and it's still $7).

Yes I have, I have 2 other kettles too. I think I have like 5 grates but they r pretty much shot. The Iron will last a lifetime...I have about 50 more years of grilling and Quing in me, so...math in the long run may make more sense for the iron.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Stuart Osterweil:
In this picture, and the picture of the Performer on the Weber site, is the lower rack, and attachments for the rack upside down ? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No it's the correct way since the charcoal holder goes in place correctly. I know b/c the new one I put together I had put upside down and had to take several piece apart to fix correctly.

Received the one touch system and stainless cooking grate from Weber. All this bragging above and as fate often does, bit me back. The bottom of the kettle where the one touch would attach had rusted out. So the one touch goes on, but not very well - it does not operate well either. I could deal with that, my biggest pet peeve is I like to snuff out the unused lump coal when I'm done using. This area on the bottom will let air in and likely continue to burn the coals. Still a very good deal, just not perfect. On another note, I checked my month old performer and after smoking a pork loin, I noticed that some moisture &/or water overflow had gunked up the hole where the one touch attaches. You can be sure I'll be checking this regularly and cleaning/drying it off. If you live in the south with high humidity, you should do the same.

I was lucky enough to come across a 96' red performer earlier this week. It was a reply to my wanted ad on Craigslist. I too paid $40 for mine, I have it pretty well cleaned up with the replacement parts on their way from Weber. Into the whole thing for $67, actually about $100 once I pick up a cover for it. It has a couple ware spots, but I am stoked to have gotten a red stainless one by pure chance. http://www.slide.com/r/oAa8rua...view=lt_embedded_url

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Joe Dang:
There are never any performers around here. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Same here, I've been looking on my local CL for over 3 months.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back