Network settings for Stoker - issue post FW update

Jim Smithson

TVWBB Fan
Just upgraded my stoker from 2.1.xxx to the latest

The update went fine. Saw no issues.

I cycled the power to the stoker and verified the IP address stayed the same. Then I went to my web browser, but it could not connect as it could prior to the update.

Few more power cycles, nothing. This was a manual IP assignment in my router, so I deleted it so see if it reacquired an IP address, and it doesnt show up again, so no.

The Stoker menu still showed the same original IP address. So I looked harder and saw settings for subnet mask...it was at 255.255.255.255 while my router had a LAN subnet mask listed of 255.255.255.0 so I changed it and saved it. Also, the gateway was 255 etc...and the router said the default gateway was the standard 192.168.11.1 so I changed it to that. (I dont recall doing this before).DNS was listed as 255.255.255.255 but I didnt know what to change that to..so left it.

Power cycled and I can now connect to the Stoker using my browser without issues. However, the DHCP client in my router does NOT show the stoker. Did I bypass the DHCP client somehow so it isnt listed?

On a related topic, I am trying to port forward my router to my Stoker so I can check temps on my blackberry etc. I port forwarded my WAN IP address to my internal LAN stoker IP address using port 80 for both settings. I put in my WAN IP address into my blackberry and get an incorrect password screen without the means to entering one. It says "Password Error. Enter the password regarding the following tips. Already login"

EDIT: An update, I logged out of my router settings window in my browser, then when I go to my WAN IP address with my blackberry, it comes up with my router username/password screen. But then says I am already logged in anyway. Didnt expect a port forwarding to require a password?

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Are you setting static IP in the stoker or using DHCP?

Subnet mask should be 255.255.255.0

Gateway should be set to your routers lan IP which on my network is 192.168.1.1 not 11.1

I set my DNS to all zeros.

I have static IP set on my stoker as 192.168.1.2 and set port forwarding 80 to 80 to the stoker 1.2 address. I'm using a linksys wrt54g router with DHCP enabled to everything else in the house except the stoker.
I can get to it from inside my LAN and using my Blackberry.
BTW: I'm no network guru, just know enough to be dangerous.

When you say "Are you setting static IP in the stoker or using DHCP?" Is this a setting on the Stoker or my router?

If it is the router, than, yes, I had made it a manual assignment so that the stoker MAC was always given the same IP address.

my lan ip is 192.168.11.1 Buffalo standard.

I did not change the DNS to all zeroes but can try.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> "Are you setting static IP in the stoker or using DHCP?" Is this a setting on the Stoker or my router?

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Jim, He means in the Stoker itself, not the router.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bob Hunter:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> "Are you setting static IP in the stoker or using DHCP?" Is this a setting on the Stoker or my router?

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Jim, He means in the Stoker itself, not the router. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Good question. How do I verify the Stoker is using DHCP vs. static? I dont recall that in the manual. I thought it was always DHCP?

Back