Need New Style For Potatoes

John-Peterson

TVWBB Fan
Tonigt after work I'm doing some Roadside Chicken. I'm also doing some Yukon Golds. I just don't know how yet.

I usually microwave them the wrap them in foil and chuck them right on the coals. Or I'll dice up some Red potatoes with onions, bacon grease, and seasonings wrap the whole shebang in foil and cook that direct.

I want to try something different. I've seen people cut YG's in half with a little EVOO and cook them that way. But my question is how long? Direct, indirect, both?

I usually microwave them the wrap them in foil and chuck them right on the coals. Or I'll dice up some Red potatoes with onions, bacon grease, and seasonings wrap the whole shebang in foil and cook that direct.
My problem with foiling potatoes is that they just steam in the foil. The texture ends up denser and they don't get flavors from smoke.

You can cut potatoes in half (or thirds if large, if you prefer) and cook direct or indirect or both, oiled first. Or, to save time and for a bit lighter texture, halve, then par-boil in salted water first till just beginning to get tender. (I start in salted tap water then bring to a boil over high heat, uncovered, then remove with a slotted spoon, drain and pat dry; from start to removal: 8 minutes if on the small side, 10-12 if large.)
Pat dry, oil, season as desired, then grill. I often put several on a skewer for ease of cooking/turning, brush with flavored oil, then grill indirect, occasionaly going direct, and occasionally brushing with more seasoned oil, turning periodically. Grill time is usually 7-15 min, depending on potatro size, grill temp, how long I go indirect/direct, etc.

I often sprinkle with a little dry seasong just before finish.

Sometimes I peel, cut into planks just shy of 1/2-inch thick, par-cook as above (8 min for this size), then grill flat.

See what you think.

Planks done indirect; crisp outside, flaky interior:

k022.jpg

My family loves fingerling potatoes. I just toss them is a little evoo and kosher salt and cook them indirect. A lot of times we don't put anything on them and eat them just as they come off the grill.

Yes, love fingerlings.

Not the pic I was seeking, but these fingerlings were halved, par-cooked as above (about 6-7 min), then cooked direct and indirect (you can see the grill marks but not the best pic).

tri.jpg

John,we got this one from FN,but it's really good. Take a potato,make slices almost all the way through. Put thinly sliced garlic in the slices,season with EVOO,S&P. Wrap in foil,and cook indirect for about an hour. Very yummy!

last week i chunked up some red potatos and mixed them in a bowl with evoo and lipton onion soup mix. then i heated my 10" cast iron skillet on the Kettle over RO lump. then i slid the skillet to the noncoal side of my indirect setup and dumped them in. i stirred them every 5-10 minutes until they were crispy on the outside and soft on the inside. about 30 minutes total. they were done about 15 minutes. they were great.

30 mins meals' Rachael Ray did some Yukons in a cool way the other day,...we tryed it...great! Place the small Yukons in a deep covered frying pan, add 1/4 inch chicken stock, drizzel olive oil on each spud, boil covered for 10-12 mins, then remove lid & continue heating until the liquid is nearly gone, with the bottom of a coffee mug gently crush each spud to approx 1-1.5" thick, then turn each one browned side up and top lightly with Parm-cheese & sprinkle of kosher salt, chopped Parsely ..... Yummy subtle flavor, Unique style!
icon_razz.gif
icon_smile.gif

I used to do them that way at a restaurant I cheffed back in the 80s. It's a great method for creamers. If you wish, you can take them to just after the crush point, allow to cool, then fridge covered. For service, you can then fry till crisp on the outsides (turning once) and heated through (I use a 50-50 mix of unsalted butter and oil, or straight clarified butter), or you can paint with your fat of choice and grill till crispy, flipping as needed. Since they're cooked already finishing goes quickly.

Tonight, I cut some red creamers in half and tossed them with salt, pepper and peanut oil in a half-size hotel pan. When the coals were ready, I put the pan, uncovered, on top of the grate and cooked away, stirring every so often. WHen they were about half-done, I tossed in a half an onion, diced. When they were cooked through, I added a handful of chopped cilantro leaves and a good sprinkle of aleppo pepper.

They were excellent alongside the burgers and grilled zucchini. The leftovers are going in a tortilla (the Spanish egg dish, not the flatbread) sometime in the next few days.

Originally posted by K Kruger:Sometimes I peel, cut into planks just shy of 1/2-inch thick, par-cook as above (8 min for this size), then grill flat.

I did this last night, while letting the main course rest after cooking, and they were great!

Par cooked them for 8 minutes, let them dry in between sheets of paper towels, brushed both sides with olive oil, then put on the indirect side of my hot kettle.

Used tongs to spin the grate 180 degrees to let each side crisp up directly over the fire after getting a light sprinkle of seasoning.

They looked good, had great texture, and were delicious!

Thanks for the tip!

Back