Need Grilled Chicken Suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike_G

TVWBB Member
I would like to grill some chicken halves on the kettle and was looking for some suggestions. What works best - direct or indirect? Brined? I usually cook them on the gasser at around 375 degrees with decent results but I wanted to try them on the kettle this time.

When I do chicken on the grill, it.s usually seasoned as normal with my "House" blend. Started indirect with a one chunk of fruit wood (Apple, Pear, Peach etc.) for a little smoke. Then finished direct to get that crispy skin. I have brine if I time, but no be difference to me if that step is skipped. The nice think about chicken is its very versatile and take flavorings nicely.

Since you are using larger pieces of chicken (halves), I'd suggest going the indirect route.

I always try to brine my chicken. It simply tastes better, IMHO. I've recently started adding a little worcestershire and hot sauce to the standard sugar n salt brine and really like the added flavor.

The way I do chicken is I brine it but do not use too much salt! Brine it for like 1 or 2 hours. You can brine it over night , just cut way back on the salt. Pat dry and rub with spices and let sit in fridge on racks to dry the skin for at least a couple hours, longer is better. This step I just learned recently. It is inconvienient but worth it because you get CRISPY skin instead of rubbery skin. My biggest mistakes with chicken, too much salt from brining and rubbing(more is not better) and over cooking it!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back