Need a new Gasser

Jeff S

TVWBB Pro
My Uniflame Stainless has just finished her 5th Summer and she is not looking too hot. She still works good (with the exception of never wanting to get above 400*) but I am wondering if it is time to put her out to pasture. Can I justify buying a new one when this one still works and I have been using my performer more than the gasser?
I have had my eye on the Genesis E320. (Don't think I will have another stainless.) $600 is a lot of moola for a grill! Is the wow factor there for the extra money you pay for a weber gasser like there is the weber charcoal grills? Lastly, I have heard a LOT of negative things about weber gas grills needing repair work and replaced parts. I would love to hear all of you good people's comments.

I bought my buddy a Genesis about 2 years ago as a wedding gift (w/o the side burner)...I think it is the silver B.....That grill is very nice, very even flame and the PCI grates still look great! I really think that the weber gas grills are worth every penny! Having said that, I'm pretty cheap, if the gasser you have is still working for the little you use it....use it until you have to put money into to continue using it.

That is pretty good, 5 years out of a uniflame!

Jeff

I'm on my 3 rd Weber gasser The first, a Genesis 2000 went 12 years and then had some gulfcoast rust in the cooking box - finally gave me a "reason' for a new one. Then got a Genesis silver B with PCI grates and became a strong proponent of the PCI grates. Loved the grill, but sent it to a vacation home in order to have a 'reason' for another one. Looked at ALL Weber gassers and bought a green E-320, which i LOVE. I've had no problems.

Ime, Weber is worth the extra costs over the lower cost grills and is a steal when compared to many higher end models. Their CS is a final selling point !

Paul

Agreed with above. I've had Silver B all the up to Summit S-650 now, and I have liked them all. Even the two-burner Silver could crank out some serious heat. If you're wanting to save money, try to find a store with a floor-model of last-year's model. Generally speaking, they are severely discounted and/or you can negotiate for it.

I have a 2004 Summit Gold D monster that I picked up on Ebay in Sept 04 for cheap. Now's the time to buy this years model as alot of places want to make room for the 08's. I got mine for $989.00 plus shipping which the total came to $1123.00 IIRC. That same grill at a local store was going for $1999.99 + tax at the time. You can save some $$$ right now but it's more on the bigger grills that the average Joe doesn't want. Except as mentioned a floor model. Anywho I went to HD and bought the PCI grates for mine and never put the stainless grates in. Those grates are still new and in the box. I love my PCI grates, and Weber, their CS is second to none.
icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jeff S: Lastly, I have heard a LOT of negative things about weber gas grills needing repair work and replaced parts. I would love to hear all of you good people's comments. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've had my Genesis 1000 for 14 years, just this year I gutted her and put all new parts inside, new manifold, burners, flavorizer bars and PCI grates (love them!), runs like when she was new. I too was looking at the E320 but couldn't bare parting with this old gal. Prior to this year I cannot think of one thing I had to replace (other than when they went to the new style tank adapters) and probably only had to call CS twice and both times they were able to solve my problems.

I can highly recommend Weber Gassers!

Jeff, Weber is one of the highest quality grills on the market. They do not have issues with bad parts. And if you do have a bad part, Weber's Cust Service is the best in the industry.

Now, IMO, any grill that tops out at 400º is no good. You want to get over 500, and 600 is better still. The Genesis should hit 550-600.

I don't know if the Genesis is really the best bang for the buck anymore, but it is an industry workhorse with a great reputation and few people are unhappy with them. There are grills out there with more features and lower prices. Some of them might be as durable as a Weber, but most of them are not. The new Genesis EP has the porcelain hood, which I prefer, and the stainless grates and bars, which I also prefer.

Jeff,

I had the same questions 2 weeks ago when I decided to replace my 10 year old Ducane, "buy your last grill first" lifetime warranty grill, that was literally falling apart. I spent around $600.00 for that grill 10 years ago. Replaced the ceramic bricks and the lower grate twice. Once on Ducane and once on me($75.00) after they went belly up. I was almost going to buy the $499.00 stainless overseas made Ducane until I looked at the E-320 and the Ducane side by side. Even though the E-320 doesn't have the
infa-red rotiss. feature the difference in quality was obvious, imo well worth the additional $100.00 . The only thing I can think of that may be an issue in a few years are the bars.. and at that point will replace with stainless for around $50.00 and be done with it.

I also have a One Touch Gold and consider the E320 my weeknight grill and the OTG my Sunday Grill.

Spend the money, you will be happy!

Marty

If you buy a new gas grill, be sure to get one with the side burner. It comes in very handy. My Genesis is about six years old. Total parts replaced is 2 regulators, one defective, on Weber, the other on me courtesy of a crazy squirrel that thought the hose lead to the laughing gas.

We have the same problem with squirrels or raccoons or other nighttime varmits puncturing our hose between the Genesis grill and the natural gas connection.

Hey Jeff

My Genesis silver b is 4yrs old and looks brand new. It will easily peg 700deg according to my tel tru therm. Definitly get the side burner it will come in handy. Good luck on your decision .Webers customer service is second to none.

Seeyaaa
Jeff

Jeff
I don't know whether you have pulled the trigger on your purchase yet. I demonstrate for weber in Australia of a Saturday from the end of September to the end of January I do it to pay for my passion which is barbecuing. The new Genesis range was released in September here in Australia and I purchased the E320 straight away, I was that impressed with it.
I use either the Genesis or Q200 about 3 nights a week and the Genesis of a Saturday night after I get home from the demonstration gig and my performer on a Sunday.
I have nothing but praise for the Genesis, I love how it gets to between 550 and 600 after about 15 minutes. I can do a nice thick steak on it and get great sear marks on both sides and cook the steak to perfection and the steak remains very moist and tender. I cook my steaks to between medium rare and medium so that the steak has a pink line through it.
I did a whole Snapper (fish, it was about 5 lb) on it last Saturday night using the fish grill tray, it turned out like lobster. Lid down, 10 minutes one side, 5 minutes the other, olive oil and salt no other seasoning. I prefer (and recommend to customers) the Enamel lid and doors and the PCI grate from a cleaning and maintenance perspective. In Australia we mount the Gas cylinder on the outside of the cabinet on the side under the control knobs to comply with Australian Standards - the good thing about that is it frees up all that space inside for your accessories. Checkm out the thickness of the metal used and compare it to cheap BBQs, there is a difference. I don't know about BBQs in the USA but with the cheap BBQs in Australia you can not cook with the lid closed and all burners on. most of those BBQs hav a warning stating only have the outer burners on when cooking with the lid down. On the Genesis you can fire it up to 550 - 600 and cook with the lid down. The E320 retails for $AUD 1499.00 in Australia which is about $US 1310.00. A cheap 4 - 6 burner BBQ is in the $AUD 400 - 600 range.
Bottom line is from an owner, demonstrator and a BBQ enthusiasts point of view the E320 is awesome, however I can not compare it to other BBQs that are sold in the USA.

Regards

Back