Nectarine Sauce

K Kruger

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
I made this sauce for a brisket dinner shown here.

Nectarine Sauce

2 t evoo
1 T unsalted butter

1 small onion, chopped
1 fresh bay leaf (a dried one would be fine)
1/2 t dried thyme

1 med red bell pepper, chopped

2 small shallots, finely chopped
1 large clove garlic, minced
1/4 t dry rub (I used the rub, posted in this section, titled Dry-over-Paste rub for Brisket)

3 T sherry vinegar

2 t minced candied ginger
1 c chicken stock
2 ripe necatarines, washed, pitted, chopped, skin left on
pinch salt
2 t turbinado sugar

1 heaping T smoked Spanish paprika
1/8 t ground chipotle (or to taste)
1 t Worcestershire sauce
1/2 c ketchup

1/2 c meat juices from the foiled brisket (or from whatever meat you've cooked)

In a med pot over med heat, melt the butter into the evoo. Add the onion, stir, and increase the heat to high. Cook the onion, stirring frequently, till just starting to soften, about 2 min, then add the bay leaf and the thyme. Continue cooking till just starting to brown in spots, about 2-3 min more, then add the bell pepper, stirring to combine.

Cook 2-3 min then add the shallot, garlic and dry rub and cook, stirring constantly, till the garlic is very fragrant but not browned, about 1 min. Deglaze the pot with the sherry vinegar and allow the vin to reduce by about half.

Add the candied ginger, stock, chopped nectarines, salt and sugar. Bring to a boil then reduce the heat to med-high and allow the liquid in the pot to reduce by about half.

Stir in the smoked paprika, chipotle, Worce and ketchup and simmer 2 min. Puree the mixture using a standard or immersion blender. Reduce the mixture, if needed, to a consistency a bit thicker than your desired finish. Remove from the heat.

For service: Reheat the sauce to a low simmer over med heat. Stir in the 1/2 c of reserved meat juices. Adjust salt; adjust heat (using more chipotle or cayenne or hot sauce) if desired. Serve.

This recipe, like most of Kevin's, has me thinking ....about a fresh apricot version. This is a terrific example of how thorough and 'expert' his recipes are. Thanks Kevin!

Back