Naan

Erik G

TVWBB Pro
Does anybody have any good Naan (indian bread) recipes and has anyone ever tried to grill naan with any success?

Erik

Yes, on a stone. But I most often make it in the oven.

3/4 c lukewarm water
1 t yeast

2 c all purpose, unbleached flour

1 t salt
pinch baking soda
1 t sugar

2.5 T plain yogurt
2 T oil

ghee, for brushing

Mix the yeast in the water and stir to wet and dissolve. Let it sit a couple of minutes. To the flour, add the salt, sugar, and baking soda. Mix well. Add oil and yogurt. Mix well. Add the yeast/water mixture and mix well to make sticky dough. Knead until it becomes a soft dough ball. It should still stick slightly. Sprinkle a few drops of oil onto your palm and knead the dough until the oil coats the outside. Let sit, covered, for 2-4 hours until doubled in size.

Heat oven to 500 with a baking stone inside, for at least 20 minutes.

Knead the dough briefly to deflate. Oil your hands lightly and make six balls from the dough.

Roll the balls in a little flour to help with rolling. Roll the naan into a rectangle shape about 1/4-inch thick. Do not make it too thin.

Wet hands so they are damp. Flip naan from palm to palm two or three times and put it on the baking stone--2 or 3, whatever will fit. After about 3 minutes they should puff and brown here and there. Remove and immediately brush the hot breads with ghee. Repeat with the remaining dough.

Kevin, thanks for responding. Why do you most often make it in the oven? I imagine if you use some lump, you can get the temp. above 500 degrees. What do you think?

Erik

The temps don't really need to be above 500 but it's fine if they are.

I make naan inside most often because I make them to go with Indian foods I have also cooked inside, in a pot or pan on the stove. For grilled Indian foods I most often make chapatis. Those I grill over coals direct.

I take a flour tortilla and toast it on both sides directly on a gas stove burner set on low to medium. It comes out very similar to naan.

Back