My PartyQ Brisket adventure.. lots of pics

Yianni

TVWBB Fan
This is my first brisket (3.74 pounds) and first time using the PartyQ as of the time of starting to type this my brisket is steadily climbing from 178 after being on for about 6 hours.

First let me show off my “smoking area” This is only my 4th smoke but this deck was made for smoking, cigars included I also recently got into pipes too but I think that’s good for another post
icon_biggrin.gif

I’m in Michigan and it was about 35 this morning but crept up to 60 as the day went on.

IMG_20111112_091808.jpg

So here is the PQ front and back. I know it’s not weatherproof but if you see where the fan is and its technically covered I don’t see why a small plastic bag and a rubber band around the control box wouldn’t be all you needed.

IMG_20111112_090233.jpg

IMG_20111112_090701.jpg

I am using a wsm 18.5 filled it with kingsford just to the top of the ring along with a maverick 732. I used about 40 briquettes in the chimney to get it going. I put one kettle of boiling water in the pan and two cold kettles (it was cold this morning) Should I have not put water in the pan? It seemed to have taken a long time to get up to 225 about an hour. Added some apple and pecan wood and put her all together.
Here are some shots of my lamp parts grommet and the brisket before putting on top of the charcoal. Happily all three sensors fit. Just put the larger meat sensor in first.

IMG_20111112_084610.jpg

IMG_20111112_084628.jpg

Here is how I clipped the temp sensors in the middle of the grate on the bottom. The PQ sensor is just on an alligator clip so I clipped it to the 732 clip.

IMG_20111112_085010.jpg

Ready to go about 9am

IMG_20111112_085928.jpg

After things got around to 200 I closed the back two vents and taped the remaining vent holes on the vent the PQ is going into. So you know my concern from other posts is how the PQ is supposed to mount. You are supposed to use a thin wig nut to secure it inside the bowl. But then the manual stresses NOT to leave the PQ in when not in use so you don’t melt the fan. This was almost going to be a dealbreaker for me.

Well here is my solution to avoiding that hassle. A couple scraps of wood and some screws and you have a quick release PartyQ.

IMG_20111112_135019.jpg

So during the cook the temp differences between my PQ and 732 are sometimes right on and sometimes 20 degrees apart in either direction. I decided not to stress about it. I did however open the other two vents slightly just a bit.
Here were are about 6 hours in.

IMG_20111112_134730.jpg

We are at 185 by the time I finished typing this. I am going to wrap it and take it to my parents it be until about 6pm et when I cut into it for the first time so I’ll be back….

At this point I don’t know how much of a review on the PQ I can give. I hope just showing some detailed pics help everyone out. The temp on the PQ seems to fluctuate 10 degrees either way. But then again I think I don’t understand the algorithm it uses. I was expecting it to be like setting an oven and it holds the temp but I think I am mistaken.

Thanks for the review and the pictures. This is great!

If it helps, I can tell you why you are having 10 degree swings. It's the vent opening and closing. You need to keep the vents closed the entire time the partyq is engaged. Otherwise you are introducing other variables into the cook. Not only does it make it harder for the guru to cook down the cooker when it overshoots (due to the passive draft and on top of that any wind) it also screws with the algorithm.

When I run my digi, I shut the bottom vents completely and the top vent is only about half open and the temps are rock solid the entire cook.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Justin W:
Thanks for the review and the pictures. This is great!

If it helps, I can tell you why you are having 10 degree swings. It's the vent opening and closing. You need to keep the vents closed the entire time the partyq is engaged. Otherwise you are introducing other variables into the cook. Not only does it make it harder for the guru to cook down the cooker when it overshoots (due to the passive draft and on top of that any wind) it also screws with the algorithm.

When I run my digi, I shut the bottom vents completely and the top vent is only about half open and the temps are rock solid the entire cook. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree with Justin. I use the Auber ATC. I usually leave all my vents open until I get to within 10-15 degrees of my target temperature, I then hook up the Auber close up all the vents and leave the top between 1/2 and 1/4 open and it will work its ways up to the target temp. i usually do briskets at 250.

With regards to the water, the water is used as a heat sink to help you control the temperature, you are already doing that with the Party Q. You do not need the water. You also waste your Kingsford as it is also working on keeping the water hot and it takes more time to get the WSM up to temperature.

Please write about the battery, if you can measure whats left after the cook(I know seems like an odd question I'm sure this is the primary concern of many). Does it beep our do something if the battery is running low?

Agree with the above outside of the vent play. This is the reason an ATC is effective. With an ATC you don't need water in the pan. The heat sink is mostly there to help regulate temp fluctuations when airflow is a variable.
You have a nice brisket flat, not a full brisket. These tend to be a litle tougher to cook given that the flat alone has less internal fat to render. I've never done a flat alone but, from what I've read here, you may want to try foiling it around 160F to hold the moisture. Your bark may suffer but you can always unfoil and firm up the bark on the WSM or even in the oven.
Note - Save the juices from the foil if you go that route and use them in whatever finishing sauce you use (if you use a sauce).

Thanks for the replies and tips, this is the best site out there for this stuff

One last part of the mini review, when I went to remove the temp sensor through the grommet the alligator clip fused to the temp sensor and I couldent get it out! I had to get out some needle nose pliers and open up the clip a bit. So a word of caution do that before hand if running it through a grommet.

Ok so next time no water in the pan. (I’m going to foil it too) – makes perfect sense

Bring it closer to temp then hook up the ATC close the vents except for the top and trust the ATC

I also put a link to the manual below there is a low batt indicator and it looks like in the setup menu (section 9) you can see the percentage of battery life left. Pretty cool.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/243016...ED_PARTYQ_MANUAL.pdf

I can’t wait to try it again. But next time it’s going to be chicken so I won’t be using the ATC just opening up everything and letting it go to town.

oh and if next time I can only find a flat again nearby would it help to wrap it in bacon or something? thanks!

Looks like things went well. I wouldn't worry about those small temp fluctuations. I get similar fluctuations in my digi q. I attribute it to air leaks, as someone else mentioned.

BTW, I like your backyard.

Back