My new 22.5" OTS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chuck Simon

TVWBB Pro
I finally put my Christmas present together. I am not used to charcoal grilling. I am very excited to try it though. I bought the charcoal and went out and bought some Omaha steaks to throw on it. I still have to make it to Home depot to buy some accessories. I want to pick up a chimney starter and some foil pans. Here is a pic of my daughter "grilling" her steak on it.
CIMG3781.jpg

Excellent Christmas present! You will get the "hang" of cooking w/ charcoal, especially with the able assistance of your daughter. Good luck!

joe

Don't get discouraged if it takes you a little while to get the hang of controlling the temps. When I made the change from gas to charcoal on my Weber kettle, I would get frustrated with trying to adjust the temperatures. I was used to the immediate change that you get with gas. With charcoal, the temps take a little bit to change once you adjust the vents so you have to experiment a little bit to learn how to set and adjust the vents to get the temps you want.

You'll get the hang of it soon enough and in the meantime, you have an excuse to grill out - "I have to practice!"

Pat

the kettle is an amazing unit. you can do just about everything you want on it including baking bread, etc. so read all you can and start cooking.

Nice present!

I would recommend that you buy your foil pans at your local dollar store, because they are a lot cheaper. Weber's are nice, but a bit pricy.

Piggy backing on Gary M's suggestion: I use an old 9x13 cake pan and line it with aluminum foil. Pick up a used cake pan from a thrift store for pennies and reuse each time with foil. I am cheap!

i do what joe does. i use steel pans lined with foil. cheap and works great with no chance of holes leaking. ask me how i know !!!

Thanks guys for the tips! I should have read this sooner. I went to Home Depot to pick up a chimney starter and also some foil pans. Once I blow through those, I will use your suggestions. Thanks again! Pat, I used it for the first time tonight, but did not light enough coals. I am learning by trial and error. I will have to "practice" again later in the week when I make pork chops.

Chuck, congratulations on your first kettle. Your Genesis probably felt a chill when you wheeled the OTS out for that first cook.

I noticed that the triangle at the base of your kettle is of the type found on the OTG, and not what has been standard issue on the OTS. It's certainly an improvement, if only for the (limited) storage space it provides. Does anyone know if this is simply a move by Weber to improve the OTS for 2010?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back