My first Guru DigiQ try. help please

Rusty

TVWBB Member
I got my DigiQ DX last week and have been anxiously waiting to try it out. Well, today was the day.
I have two smokers; a 2009 18 WSM and a Char-griller Super Pro with the SFB. I purchased the 25 CFM fan for the guru and both adapters for my smokers.
Today, I smoked two racks of babybacks. I was somewhat nervous and didn't know what to expect with the guru, but went ahead and gave it my best shot. I used my Char-griller for the ribs since it is much larger and the BB's I was smoking were pretty long. I hooked everything up and powered it up. I only used the pit probe, as I was planning on using the 3-2-1 method for the ribs. I set the guru target temp for 235. It quickly brought the temp to target temp. I should mention that I had the damper wide open. However, the temp kept rising all the way to 260. I am thinking I put too many lit coals in my minion method basket. The only thing that puzzles me is that the fan kept blowing every so often after the temp was way higher than the target temp. I figured it wouldn't blow at all until the temp fell back down to target temp. What did I do wrong? Why did the fan continue to blow every so often when it was way too hot?
The ribs came out fair. I believe in the guru technology, but I realize I still have lots to learn.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Why did the fan continue to blow every so often when it was way too hot? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Lets say you have a temperature controller set to 225, if it waits til 224 to start turning on the fan, you'll never be able to maintain a solid 225, and how close to that even is your best guess. If it waits until it sees 224 it might not be able to get the fire stoked up until 220 or lower. Your controller is trying to stay ahead of the game and keep the temp from falling too quickly to catch.

How many lit coals did you start with? Maybe its was just too much for its "smarts" to handle.

Sounds to me like an air leakage problem. It's either coming into the firebox or going out of the smoke chamber. I'd start looking at mods for the CGSP. They aren't known to be too efficient.

-rob

John, I think you may be right. I started out with 3/4 chimney of hot. Next time, I think I will start out with less than half.

Rob, I have done all the mods to my CG to minimize or eliminate the leaks. I have sealed the main chamber and sfb with oven gasket. You are right though, they are known to leak. I kept the chimney damper 100% open most of the cook. I might try 25% open next time.

I probably will close the damper on the fan down to 50% after it reaches target temp and see if that helps.

I think that is a good approach. Our first contest year we had a CGSP with a Guru competitor. I ran it with a 10cfm blower and that's all it needed. I think 25 is more than you need.

One thing I'll add is that I used to have problems with ash blocking the blower entry with the CGSP because I was forced to mount it on the left inside of the firebox. Make sure there is no ash buildup on the input of the blower.

I really wish either the Rock's or Guru would implement pulse width modulation on these devices instead of slamming the blower on/off. That would solve a lot IMO. You could use the biggest blower on any sized pit.

-rob

Rob, I totally agree with your concept of cycling the fan with a modulator. With the fan cycling on and off, over and over again...how long will we expect a fan like this to last? Wonder what the life expectancy of a fan like this is?

Back