My First Curb Find

Cody Bratton

TVWBB Pro
I’m an auto body technician (with a diesel mechanic background, courtesy of the US Army) in the transportation department of a school district in Wisconsin. I also spend a fair amount of time driving said school buses. Summer of 2022, I was driving a summer school bus for a driver that called in sick. I was so pissed because summer is when I do my big projects. I was approaching my 2nd to last stop when I turned the corner and saw a guy wheeling this little beauty out to the curb. With a “Free - it works” sign taped on it.

I dropped the last kids and l started thinking to myself. Having a gas grill could be kinda fun and convenient, I have been a Weber kettle lover to the core my whole life.

I went back and it was there. I had no idea what I was looking at. Rolled it up to the back of the van and manhandled it in on its back. Everything went crashing about and I thought, maybe that was a bad idea.

I never did any real rehabbing of it, just a pretty thorough cleaning and 600 degree burn off. It is solid, all the typical stuff that usually is really rough on a freebie is solid. It’s now my shop grill.

I added the durawood tables and bottom from other donor grills I parted out. Someday I’ll do a complete rehab on it, once I have another one ready to cook on here!

Cheers! 🍻

Attachments

• IMG_6752.jpeg
    IMG_6752.jpeg
    270.9 KB · Views: 21

Back