my best Country Style Ribs

Kaz S

TVWBB Pro
I finally nailed some CSR's so I thought I'd post how I did it and hopefully some of yall can post what works for you.

I bought a pack of bone-in country style pork ribs. Seasoned with bad byron's butt rub. Grilled them direct over a chimney of hot coals until they had marks in all side 2-3 min per side. Then tossed them in my cast iron dutch oven covered them with a double batch of #5 sauce and a 1/3 cup of vegetable oil. Coated all sides with sauce put the dutch oven lid on, moved the dutch oven just off the edge of the hot banked coals to indirect, but barely indirect. And cook with the kettle lid on. Then every 10 minutes I would check on em toss / stir um up, flip the dutch oven around so a different side faced the coals and put the lids back on til tender but not mushy falling apart. (About 50 min) then left the lid on took it inside to rest on the stove while I cooked ABT's and mac-n-cheese.

They were the best CSR's I've ever had. I've struggled cooking these and have tried cooking them direct, indirect, reverse sear, cooked em like baby backs using the 3-2-1, smoked em, cooked em in sauce in the oven, in foil, and I've braised em in sauce in the dutch oven with onions (bbq pit boys recipe) before but didn't use the lid. The lid on in the cast iron oven really made these stand out. These were every bit as good as jim lampe's look in his pictures.

Posted this in grilling cause it was hot and fast csr's on the kettle. But its more of a grill then braise. Kick butt ribs in an hour. I never temped the grill or the ribs but I would't be surprised if it was 400 or so.

I totally agree that this is the only way to do country style "ribs". After all, they are really cut from the shoulder and make nice sandwiches if you don't want to cook a whole pork butt. I don't really think that the sauce needs any oil (given the amount of fat in the meat) but to each his own. Thanks and Happy Holidays!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by kaz S:
I finally nailed some CSR's so I thought I'd post how I did it and hopefully some of yall can post what works for you.

I bought a pack of bone-in country style pork ribs. Seasoned with bad byron's butt rub. Grilled them direct over a chimney of hot coals until they had marks in all side 2-3 min per side. Then tossed them in my cast iron dutch oven covered them with a double batch of #5 sauce and a 1/3 cup of vegetable oil. Coated all sides with sauce put the dutch oven lid on, moved the dutch oven just off the edge of the hot banked coals to indirect, but barely indirect. And cook with the kettle lid on. Then every 10 minutes I would check on em toss / stir um up, flip the dutch oven around so a different side faced the coals and put the lids back on til tender but not mushy falling apart. (About 50 min) then left the lid on took it inside to rest on the stove while I cooked ABT's and mac-n-cheese.

They were the best CSR's I've ever had. I've struggled cooking these and have tried cooking them direct, indirect, reverse sear, cooked em like baby backs using the 3-2-1, smoked em, cooked em in sauce in the oven, in foil, and I've braised em in sauce in the dutch oven with onions (bbq pit boys recipe) before but didn't use the lid. The lid on in the cast iron oven really made these stand out. These were every bit as good as jim lampe's look in his pictures.

Posted this in grilling cause it was hot and fast csr's on the kettle. But its more of a grill then braise. Kick butt ribs in an hour. I never temped the grill or the ribs but I would't be surprised if it was 400 or so. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Kas... CSR have been a favorite of ours for many years,they are usualy pretty cheap and tasty.
We have tried them several different ways,but our favorite is cook them like a steak.We have fed to several thar thought they were eating steak.Our method...try to get small bone in CSR and rub each rib down with Dales steak mainade then salt and pepper.Let them rest for a hour or overnight.Get grill hot like for steak and throw them on and soon as you get them on cut heat way down and keep turning them....takes maybe 15 minutes and they are ready.Try it I think you will like it. most people that try this keeps the heat to hot.Just remember if you have flare ups it's to hot.

Good luck

Back