Mods to my WSM

Rick Pruitt

TVWBB Super Fan
Here are some photos of the mods I have made to the WSM I won on here for the TVWB 10th anniversary. I know, ”why did it take so long”? 2008 was not a good year and some things had to be set aside until a later date . I felt bringing in the New Year with a first smoke on my new WSM was the way to go. The mods I have made are few and simple. A single Guru eyelet , handles on the fuel great , and these neat plugs to seal the open holes next to the Guru adapter.
mondaybbqpics003.jpg

mondaybbqpics005.jpg

mondaybbqpics008.jpg

Rick

Thanks Bill. I have been using washers to cover the hole on my other WSM's . When I found the plugs I thought this is a neat way to do the job. I will use them on all the WSM's now.

Rick

You can find them at most Ace Hardware stores. I don't know exactly what there called but some kinda plug I think. I found them in the area where the sell the screws and things.

Originally posted by Mike Zarecky:
Where did you find the metal hole plugs?

MikeZ

You should be able to find those plugs at Home depot, Lowes, any hardware store or electrical supply house. Typically those plugs are used in an electrical junction box to replace a knock out slug that has been removed

Nice mods!
I use the Electrical Conduit Box Plugs (bungs) to regulate the draft on my Big Drum Smoker clones, and was thinking the K/O plugs would seal the WSM vents and look cleaner than tape, you've proven that!

Thanks . I thought with all the money we spend on a WSM and a Guru , TAPE , no way I had to come up with something better than that. These little plugs work out well.

PS, Got mine at Lowes

Rick

Originally posted by Bill Gillespie:
Typically those plugs are used in an electrical junction box to replace a knock out slug that has been removed
And I have quite a few of them fancy smanchy hole plugs on my Harley, here and there, in the frame.
icon_wink.gif
They are used in many O applications..., and are a dime a dozen.
icon_cool.gif

Speaking of tape - If you wanted to seal off the vents from the inside of the charcoal bowl, what kind of tape could you use? I'm thinking that my big smoker will only be used with my stoker, and I don't like how my vents don't close 100%.

Originally posted by Pat McCreight:
Speaking of tape - If you wanted to seal off the vents from the inside of the charcoal bowl, what kind of tape could you use? I'm thinking that my big smoker will only be used with my stoker, and I don't like how my vents don't close 100%.
With my 1st WSM, I had loose vents that even when closed, allowed too much air in for the Guru to properly control temps .. Thus, I had temp overshoot problems. I ended up using the metal foil tape that you use on furnace ducts and it's been working fine. I have to replace it every couple/3 years, which is a pain, but it works well once you get the surface clean.

EDIT: Here are a couple pics of when I 1st tried this..

Bill

Thanks Bill - I picked up a roll of the foil tape and will seal off my vents when it becomes a little less frigid here.

I'm also going to put a few layers of tape on the inside of the access door, to make a gasket of sorts. Hoping that helps seal it up a little.

I just got the 3/4 plugs. They work great. I used tape that eventually fell off. I used corks for plugs which wore out.

Back