mmmmeatballs

Well, anyone who can't get it fresh... But you should try it anyway. It's a breeze to make.

Try it warm, topped with berries and a drizzle of honey.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Well, anyone who can't get it fresh... But you should try it anyway. It's a breeze to make. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

especially if one has young kids at home.

The one thought I had making fresh mozz at home, was: what sort of mix-ins could I try. It seemed like at some point, one could fold in red peppers, basil, or salumi, and make a really cool appetizer.

I haven't made my own ricotta or moz just yet. But I do make paneer a few times a year. I have struggled with yield and quality of the curd when using pasteurized/homogenized milk. I think it's more an issue of being homogenized.

My first attempts years ago with p/h was grainy curd and low yield and it didn't press well. Paneer is often deep fried in ghee. The p/h didn't hold together well after pressing and wanted to break up.

Once I switched to raw milk (cream top) yield and quality went way up. The whey is often used as the liquid instead of plain water in some Indian recipes and the quality of the whey was better too in that it had less solids left in it and to me a better flavor.

I tried several times with p/h milk before switching. It's a very simple method to make paneer so I blamed the milk. But - I guess it could be me, but not going back at this point.

Because of this I have to say I'm biased and would consider it a fail safe to use cream top for first attempts at other types of cheese.

I'm making my first homemade mozzarella this weekend. With any luck, it will resemble something like cheese. I've got a local milk that should do the trick.

I've been doing a ton of reading on the subject, and it appears that many organic milks and regular grocerty store milks and are now "ultra pasteurized" which destroys the whey protein, not allowing the curd to properly form, which will never yield mozarella.

So, we shall see if I'm eating capresse salad this weekend!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I have struggled with yield and quality of the curd when using pasteurized/homogenized milk. I think it's more an issue of being homogenized. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
What are you using for a starter - lemon juice, vin or yogurt?

Are you adding the starter all at once or..?

Are you rinsing the curds?

Never had an issue with pasteurized milk. Ultra-pasteurized, yes.

Not to hijack this thread, but Kevin, with standard store bought pasteurized milk, you've been ok on your cheese making? All the reading I've done probably has me overthinking the milk I get from reading about all of the various temps milk is brought to.

I have been okay, yes. If the pasteurized milk you buy is not working for you try a different brand. You can also call the packagers of the milk producers in your area and ask what temp they use and for how long to pasteurize. There are numbers that have to be hit for the milk to be labeled ultra. However, the producer might go almost to those numbers but not quite, meaning they could label as pasteurized and not ultra, yet the effect on the milk as far as cheesemaking goes would be the same as if it were ultra.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by K Kruger:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I have struggled with yield and quality of the curd when using pasteurized/homogenized milk. I think it's more an issue of being homogenized. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
What are you using for a starter - lemon juice, vin or yogurt?

Are you adding the starter all at once or..?

Are you rinsing the curds?

Never had an issue with pasteurized milk. Ultra-pasteurized, yes. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Always lemon juice. Mix in a couple TB or 1/4 c first depending on how much milk I'm working with then slowly until the curd is clearly separated.

When having the problem I even tried upping the acid to double and got the same result. Might have been ultra-pasteurized, not sure it's been quite a few years ago now.

I don't rinse the curds, no. I lift out with a slotted spoon or spyder into a colander lined with cheesecloth to drain then tie up and press for at least an hour and a half. Usually more.

I'll have to give another try perhaps. But the raw works so well and reliably for me I have no real incentive.

I usually start with 2 gallons of milk and end up with 15-16 oz of paneer. Have a lb. vac sealed in the fridge now waiting to go into a recipe soon.

Thanks Kevin. On a cheesemaking website I've been reading, they have a list "Good Milks" by state, and there is one available here in town that comes from a farm about 20 miles away, so i'll start with that one. The one I had the highest hopes for apparently pasteurizes at 172 degrees as of the last couple months, so that ones out.

Finally made some fresh mozzarella tonight, and wow, was it good! Extremely easy to make, and excellent results. Highly recommend to anyone that likes fresh mozz.

Kilgus Farms milk worked perfectly. It is whole non-homogenized jersey cow juice, great stuff!

Sure.

Admittedly, i'm far from an expert, as I have exactly 1 round of cheese under my belt, but here's what I did.

1/4 tsp. powdered citric acid mixed in 1/4 cup room temp water. Pour into pot, stainless preferrably.

Vigorously pour in one gallon of the milk of your choice. I highly recommend finding a local, fresh, whole milk that has been pasteurized at low temps. The vigorous pour will help the citric acid fully incorporate. If not fully incorporated, it can result in uneven curd formation.

Dissolve 1/4 tablet rennet in 1/4 cup room temp water.

Heat milk to 90 degrees F. Either slow or fast, just get to 90.

Remove from heat, stir in rennet. Ensure rennet is fully incorporated by stirring from top to bottom for 30 seconds. Cover, let sit 5 mins.

Test curb with the back of a spoon. You should have full, clean separation from the side of your pot, and a heavy, custard-like texture of your curd. If not, allow to sit for 2-3 more mins.

Cut curd into squares by using a knife that reaches the bottom of the pot.

Return to heat, and stirring gently, heat to 105 degrees F.

Scoop out curd into collander. Move curd around collander to release more whey.

Place curd in glass bowl and microwave on high for 1 minute. Pour off whey (easiest if you plop back into collander).

Heat again in micro for 30 seconds. Pour off whey.

Heat for 30 seconds again. Your curd should be just hot enough to handle at this point. Return to collander, working a bit more firmly. If salt is desired, add now.

Knead as you would bread dough. It will become shiny and smooth in a matter of seconds.

Eat!

If storing, submerge cheese in ice water to cool quickly and refrigerate wrapped in plastic. It will keep ~5 days, but the freshness is of course best on day 1.

Back