Miracle Grate

Status
Not open for further replies.
I noticed the condition of the cooking grate, and got a chuckle from the fact that, immediately following the end of the demonstration video, two links came up for other videos - one on "How to use a charcoal chimney starter" and the other on "How to clean your grill." I am guessing that Mr. Miracle Grate has seen neither of these videos.

I then checked the price of this product - $20 for the 18.5 kettle, and $26 for the 22.5" kettle. Apparently, neither size will work on any other grill. A Weber Rapidfire chimney, that will work on any charcoal grill, can be had for $18.00.

It seems to me that if this guy spent more time cleaning his cooking grate, and less time on fabricating and hawking a product that does less and costs more than the Rapidfire, his food would taste a lot better.

Good luck and God bless, Mr. Miracle Grate. My hunch is that the real miracle here will be if anyone actually buys this product.

What a DA. He uses a dinner fork to spread the coals around, then he pushes all the chops together so there's zero gap between them.
icon_rolleyes.gif

Did you catch that little can of Ronson fuel? I last had one of those when I owned a Zippo!

Does it get much worse than that...what a maroon!!!

Dan

When offering instructions on how to use the chimney did she say "newspaper on top and lump charcoal on the bottom"? Have I been using my wrong this entire time?

I know this topic is a few years old, but I stumbled across all of this when watching some videos on youtube.

Nonetheless, here is my reason for considering the Miracle grate:

It replaces the charcoal grate (seems we all have to buy one of those every few years)
It replaces the briquette basket holders (i've been thinking about buying some of these anyway)

Nothing is perfect. Lots of folks out there wonder why we all pay for chimneys when a nice, tidy pile of coals works just fine as does a coffee can.

Guess I just thought I'd throw this out there since it seemed like you guys were coming down a little hard on the fellow.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by derek_d:
It replaces the briquette basket holders (i've been thinking about buying some of these anyway)
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Derek Never let popular opinion determine what you want or dont want. If you like this and think it will work for you then by all means buy one. But I am confused about how it will fill the need for basket holders? Basket holders are used to seperate the charcoal to opposite sides of the grill allowing an indirect area of your grill. Once thie coal is burning good with the Miracle Grill you open it up and spread out the charcoal.

I don't think this is as practical as a charcoal chimney, but it doesn't seem as silly and pointless as people were making it out to be.

Newspaper ash is a problem with the chimney as well, that's why I use starter cubes, which could also be used with this.

If you only have one or two grills this might be a solution, but with over 20 cookers going this way would be impractical. Still, I admire the fact that he had and idea and followed through.

Bill

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Steve Whiting:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by derek_d:
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Derek Never let popular opinion determine what you want or dont want. If you like this and think it will work for you then by all means buy one. But I am confused about how it will fill the need for basket holders? Basket holders are used to seperate the charcoal to opposite sides of the grill allowing an indirect area of your grill. Once thie coal is burning good with the Miracle Grill you open it up and spread out the charcoal. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have not used it, so I can't say this is exactly how it's done. However, i'm looking at it and thinking you'd simply start two small fires on the sides rather than one in the middle. That's not really any more difficult than what a person has to do now with the baskets so I look at that as sorta being a wash or bonus feature. I wouldn't buy it just for that feature, but its nice that it can do what the baskets can do (hold the coals along the side of the grill).

Truth be told, there isn't a need for this or countless other "gadgets" we all own, including the chimney (some paper and a tidy pile of coals works just fine).

When I read some of the comments I was expecting the price of the miracle grate to be closer to $50.

I'm not sure that I'm going to run out and get one of these (mainly because I don't need a charcoal grate and already own a chimney...and frankly pushing the coals along the side of the grill works plenty fine for me) but I can see some value in the product. I think it would be awesome if Weber could work something out to include this when you buy a new grill.

FWIW, I prefer to use the firestarter cubes, but have also used an empty coffee can that i removed the top and bottom from (and a pair of pliers, of course). That way i can simply remove the can with pliers (no tipping or dumping and no paper ash flying all over the place because the coals just hold them down).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back