Mexican Black Beans

j biesinger

TVWBB Platinum Member
I often make these as a side for tacos or fajitas and I actually entered them in a comp but it didn't go too well (but thats another story). The other day I decided to quantify the recipe so I can improve it. I thought I'd post it here, to get some feedback.

Two cans of black beans (or equal amount dried)
1/2 baseball sized onion
2 cloves garlic
2 tsp cumin
2 tsp oregano (I prefer turkish, but if mex is your thing than go for it)
1 tsp epazote
1 bay leaf
extra virgin olive oil
salt/pepper

I start by chopping the onion and garlic and tossing them in the pot with some hot evoo. After a couple of minutes I throw in the spices, and once things are fragrant, the beans. I make sure the beans are sufficiently covered with water and let the whole thing bubble away for an hour or so until they are thickened.

You can add some jalepeno if you like (this where things got ugly when I entered them in the comp).

Did you get any feedback on your standing in the comp? My only observation would be the simmering for an hour with cooked beans. Do they come out a little mushy? You might clone your recipe except use dried beans. That way you can control the degree of softness.

I did do them with dried. At home for speed I use canned.

I added way too much jalepenos for the comp batch (I didn't know they were extra hot). they were so hot they were almost inedible. the only comment card we received was "too much spice" whatever that means.

I'd cut the cumin. It easily overwhelms. Try adding just a pinch or two early on, another nearer the end. Maybe .75 t total. I'd also halve the oregano.

I'd suggest fleshing out your sofrito and making a procedural change.

Heat the oil in your pot and add the onion, finely chopped, along with 1/2 of an Anaheim pepper (or sub 1/2 a green bell), very finely chopped, even minced, plus 2 T very finely chopped red bell pepper, and a little salt. Sweat the vegs over moderate heat for a several minutes then increase to med-high and sauté, stirring often, till some of the onions start to brown a bit in spots. Add a little pepper, half the oregano (.5 t) the first pinch of cumin and 2-3 cloves of garlic (use a press or make a paste first), stir well, and cook just till the garlic is fragrant, about 45 secs, then immediately add the beans, epazote and bay.

(If you'd like to add heat, split a small jalapeño, seed it, and add it (or half of it) to the pot. Remove when the beans are done, along with the bay leaf.)

15 min before the finish adjust salt and pepper, add the other .5 t oregano and another pinch of cumin. When finished, remove from the heat and stir in 2 t cider vinegar.

Options for more depth: Rather than using oil, sauté about 1/3-lb bulk Mexican chorizo (or squeeze it out of its casings) till the meat is cooked through, strain out the meat (use it for something else), and sauté your sofrito in the rendered fat.

Or render some fat from a 1/4-lb piece of salt pork and use it in place of the oil for your sofrito. Leave the salt pork in till the beans are done; remove it with the bay leaf and jalapeño, if using.

Or use lard in place of oil.

Serve the beans topped with freshly diced white onion, or lightly sprinkled with cotija, or drizzled with crema (make your own)--and a tiny lime wedge.

thanks kevin, it all sounds right.

I make crema, but occasionally have issues with consistency (it wont thicken). whats your procedure (if you don't mind sharing).

I use 1 cup heavy cream to 1-2 T buttermilk.

Gentlyheat the heavy to ~90?--no higher than 100(!)--then pour into a clean jar. Stir in the buttermilk (I don't measure; I just pour in somewhere between 1 and 2 T; make sure the buttermilk has live cultures) and either cover with cheesecloth or use the lid but leave it slightly ajar. Place in a warm-ish spot (~80?) for 12-24 hours.

Cooler temps can mean a longer wait for thickening. If thickening is a problem either the cream was heated too high, the cream wasn't heated at all and the mix was made cold (it still often works but can take more time), or the culture used wasn't active.

(Btw, as I noted in the Cuban bean thread, some Mexican cooks add a little wine to their beans. Another option.)

Back