Memere Yvonne's No-roux etouffee for shrimp or crawfish. Cajun created and approved.

Keri C

TVWBB Wizard
Here's the other version of Etouffee that I promised the other day - a rouxless version that comes from a Cajun grandma. My husband Robert seems to prefer the flavor of this one over the full-blown roux version, although he won't let EITHER version go to waste. /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif Don't balk at the fact that this uses two kinds of canned soup. They suit the purpose well.

Keri C

* Exported from MasterCook *

Memere Yvonne's No-roux Etouffee (shrimp or crawfish)

Recipe By : Camille W's grandmother Yvonne
Serving Size : 6 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Seafood Soups & Stews

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
2 lb shrimp, or crawfish tails
1 stick margarine
1 large onion, chopped
1/2 large bell pepper, chopped
1/2 cup tomato sauce
1 can cream of celery soup
1 can cream of GOLDEN mushroom soup
Tabasco to taste

Use a 2-lb bag of the cooked and peeled shrimp that you can buy in the meat market, or peel your own shrimp or crawfish. You want 2 lbs of crawfish tail meat for this. Salt and pepper peeled shrimp or crawfish and set aside for at least an hour. Melt margarine in large pot, and saute onion and pepper. Add tomato sauce, soups, and shrimp. Stir well and simmer 30 minutes, stirring often.

Serve over hot rice.

Camille's husband is of the opinion that this wonderful stuff looks NASTY until about 29 1/2 minutes into cooking, then it magically becomes delicious-looking.

Keri's Options: I like to add a few stalks of chopped celery and a tablespoon of minced garlic to the sauteed vegetables, and some chopped green onions toward the end, but Memere Yvonne's recipe didn't call for it. Have also used a can of drained Rotel tomatoes, crushed, instead of the tomato sauce, with good results. To bump the heat I add 1 tsp cayenne, 1/2 tsp black pepper, and 1/4 tsp white pepper. Add Cajun seasoning to taste, preferably a low-salt or salt-free version. Serve over hot rice with a sprinkling of chopped green onions on top.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Back