Meatloaf

Don Cash

TVWBB Gold Member
Becky M-M asked in the " Recipe Requests & Ingredient Questions" forum about things to do with ground beef other than burgers. I suggested meatloaf. What a coincidence, that was on the menu this week for us...

Here's how we do it, Becky.

Loaf ready for the heat. Don't have the recipe (Leigh-Ann is putting Campbell to bed). I know it's ground beef a little ground pork, onion, BBQ sauce, spices, etc... Find a recipe that sounds good and use that.

IMG_0322.jpg

On around 350* or so.

IMG_0323.jpg

When it reached 100* internal I turned it and added the corn.

IMG_0324.jpg

At 130* I brushed it with some BBQ sauce...

IMG_0325.jpg

...and pulled it at 160* internal.

IMG_0326.jpg

While it rested I put some color on some par-cooked Brussels sprouts.

IMG_0327.jpg

IMG_0328.jpg

IMG_0330.jpg

Then grated some Parm on it...

IMG_0331.jpg

...and feasted.

IMG_0332.jpg

Great meal.

Becky, do it!

Great looking cook Don ! I always love your pics of the PBR in the background it is also my go to brew

nice! that looks really moist.... mine was very hard and yucky, but it was years ago and i like to think my cooking skills have matured since then.

(sorry hit post before i was done)

so the inside should not resemble a burger then? it looks much more "wet".

also... is there anything under it to catch drippings? i have an actual meatloaf pan, but i probably wouldnt use it because i want all the meat exposed. i have little racks i can use, just wondering about the meat drippings. the ground beef i use is 80/20, but its very good and doesnt release a lot of yuckiness.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Becky M-M:
so the inside should not resemble a burger then? it looks much more "wet".

also... is there anything under it to catch drippings? i have an actual meatloaf pan, but i probably wouldnt use it because i want all the meat exposed. i have little racks i can use, just wondering about the meat drippings. the ground beef i use is 80/20, but its very good and doesnt release a lot of yuckiness. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
The "wet" inside will come from the recipe...Almost every meatloaf recipe we've done (if cooked correctly) has been moist and juicy. There's stuff in there to make it that way.

I don't put anything under it to catch the drippings. I cook enough on my grill that drippings don't really gunk up my kettle
icon_biggrin.gif
If you're worried about it, throw some foil down and you're good to go. I wouldn't use the meatloaf pan for the reason you mentioned. If you're going to use the pan, just do it in the oven. BTW, cook it indirect the whole time.

We use 80/20 also. You could probably get away with leaner if you're putting some ground pork in it (as we did here), but why bother?... 80/20 is perfect, IMO.

The whole meal looks great- but those brussell sprouts look unreal. I love the way they char up a bit around the edges- I imagine it must bring out some sweetness in them. I will try them in the near future.

Back