Lowes 20 pound propane tank

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had an old 20 pound propane tank laying around, hasnt been used in years. i couldnt find any place that would refill it so i took a chance out driving around today and went to lowes. They traded my empty tank for a new tank filled with propane. cost was $21 total for new full tank.

if you dont have one just buy a new full one for about $50. then go back and trade for new one for $21

I've done that before with old tanks that didn't have an OPD valve or on which the certification expired. It's not biggie to Lowes or the gas company that services their propane racks. The gas company will look at the tank and if its in good shape, will purge it, paint it, put their sticker on it and replace the old valve with an OPD valve and you may get it back the next time you swap out your propane tank!

There is a thread on here somewhere, however, that many of the gas service companies aren't filling the tanks completely full so you're only getting 17 or 18 lbs of fuel when you do a swap.

I've started to take my tanks to the local U-Haul place, and when I can get somebody to wait on me, I can get the tanks refilled and pay by the pound. However, they won't swap out the tanks.

You got a good deal.

Pat

I'm probably gonna make some of you jealous, but I have the in ground tank for my house (750gl) and had the gas company come out and put me a 25' quick connect hose from my house's stub out to my Genesis on the back patio.

How sweet it is!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back