looking for recommendations

JennyFerraynor

So I own a 18in and 22in Webers, I'm looking to drop the 18in in favor of a gas grill. I was looking at a Weber Spirit but wanted to see if anyone had other recommendations.

I would be looking for an older Weber Genesis over anything new. I prefer them over the new models. I just restored this little 2001 IMG_0153.JPGSilver A 2 burner when I was looking for something new. Even with replacing a lot of parts it was still much more economical than buying new, and it will probable last longer.

How many you normally cook for? It's just the Wife and I so ditched my big 4 burner gasser for a Q 2200.

If you want new and can still find a spirit II or genesis II, the warranty is 10 years, bumper to bumper. Every part is covered, including the grates and flavorizer bars, which go much sooner than that. I can already hear the grumbles from others about Weber‘s warranty, but I’ve always had good experiences with them With my Spirit II. They already sent me new flavorizer bars for my spirit II.
If you want used there are plenty of options to restore or find a restored grill. Good luck.

What do you want to cook on it?

We just replaced our propane Genesis 3000 LX with a natural gas 2022 Genesis SP-E-335. Both are good grills and I would recommend either one.

Features that we like that are common to the new Genesis grills are the wider left-center-right cooking zones and the larger surface area. Cooking room on the old grill always felt tight, even when cooking for two. The build quality on the new grill is not as good as the old one, but it cooks well for us.

In case it matters, we also bought into the expensive Weber Crafted accessories that fit into the new Genesis grills. We ordered the Weber flat top griddle and pizza stone with the grill. We hope to move more cooking outside, especially in the summer to reduce heating up the house. It is our hope that the flat top griddle and pizza stone will serve as adequate substitutes for a Blackstone griddle and a dedicated pizza oven respectively. We have not used either of them enough to say much, but "so far, so good."

In case you or others are interested, I started threads for a "first look" at the flat top griddle and the pizza stone. I am working on a write-up about the new Genesis grill, but it isn't ready yet. See:
https://tvwbb.com/threads/weber-crafted-flat-top-griddle-first-look.91589/
https://tvwbb.com/threads/weber-crafted-pizza-stone-aka-glazed-baking-stone-first-look.91598/

Last edited:
Here, you will get many recommendations for the older grills with the controls on the side. I think those grills are beautiful, but I just don't like the "east-west" burners.
I normally do 2 zone cooking and find "north-south" burners much easier to work with.
*I can see how the EW configuration would be great for rotisserie cooking, if you do a lot of that.

Like everyone else said, it depends on how you want to cook. :)

I have a Genesis II 3 burner, open bottom, and I absolutely love it. Jason has vouched for the Spirit II.
I don't think you can go wrong with either.

As for this year's models - I don't have any experience with those, but in the stores, they look kind of... flimsy?
To me, at least.

Good luck and have fun with the hunt!
Let us know what you wind up with.

Back