Looking for a Grilled Teryaki Chicken Wing Recipe

Andy_STL

Hi All, I am looking for a good recipe for Teryaki chicken wings for a 4th of July party. I guess it doesn't have to be Teryaki, but I plan on doing 5 lbs of hot wings, and 5 lbs of something that isn't hot and spicy. I will be grilling indirect on my Performer. All suggestions welcome and the easier the better! Thanks!

Andy try using this . If you want it thicker cut out some of the sugar and add honey until it is the right thickness for you, more of a honey garlic sauce. I also add more garlic than what is called for here and chop it fine instead of grating it. If you want to spice it up a touch add some Sriracha sauce or your favorite hot sauce.

The cooks.com recipe is a good starting point.

Be careful if you grill direct with this sauce because it has lots of sugar in it. I usually baste my wings with it near the end of the cook or better yet dip them ever few minutes for the last 10 minutes of your cook. Make sure they are over a drip pan or it will make a mess of your kettle.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Andy_STL:
Thanks! So do you marinate them at all prior to cooking? Or do they go on the grill naked? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't marinade them. I toss them in a bowl with a bit of oil,garlic powder and salt just prior to putting them on the grill. This helps crisp them up. I don't think they will get as crisp if you marinate them. I also cook them at about 400-425 degrees which is hotter than a lot of people cook them at but I have heard of people going hotter.

If your sauce is fairly thick it will really stick to the wings. It is also very sweet so I like the hot sauce just for a touch of heat. I usually make them for the reason you are, some people don't want spicey.

I followed the Roadside Chicken recipe except that I used lots of Teriake instead of Worstershire (I also left oil out of the recipe all together).

I did it with thighs and the results were superb. I've been dying to try it with wings.

I marinated almost 24 hours.

Andy -

Here's a good grilled wing post from a couple of months ago in the Photo Forum -

Lampe's Grilled Wings

Doesn't look like Mr. Lampe does anything to his wings before grilling except sprinkle on some seasoning, then put them onto the grill. This is how I grill wings, using plain old lemon pepper sprinkled on the wings, with a shot of butter flavored PAM spray to help the seasoning stick. I use Tony Chacherie's for hot/buffalo wings. I made my own teriyaki sauce
from this recipe, but used a little less water and cooked it down to make it a little thicker. -

teriyaki sauce

I also like Bob Sample's idea of tossing the wings in a little oil & seasoning before cooking to give a nice, crispy skin from grilling. Cook time should be around 35-50 mins., depending on how hot your grill is. I used to oven bake the wings on a cookie sheet, but my family prefers them grilled.

Try searing for a minute or two over direct heat, then move to indirect to finish.

good luck!
icon_smile.gif

Back