Long Weekend cooks

Darryl - swazies

TVWBB Diamond Member
Just a little mash up of all the tasty grub I threw together this weekend. It was a long weekend here in Canada, so I was able to get together some cooks for 3 days in a row. Nothing overly special but tried some new things and was very satisfied.
Saturday night I was able to get a rotisserie chicken done ( first time ever ) and a smoked rack of baby's.
Thanks to all who gave me tips on the dizzy yard bird.
Mustard brush with oakridge chili lime.....this rub is super salty, tried to keep it light on the spice.
Used cherry wod.
I had a guest over and didn't get any chicken pics but I did get a few of the ribs.
Pre grill, pre wrap and post wrap right before the sauce went on the ribs.
Didn't even come close to using all the charcoal, there was enough for the next cook and a half.

1621952253317.png
1621952307163.png

1621952324138.png

1621952345435.png

After not seeing my bud who was over on Saturday for what seems like a year we ended up getting fairly involved in the beers and the 40%.
It was a rough morning so by dinner time I was pretty hungry for some " junk food " style dinner.
After watching Chris do his version of the smash burger a few weeks back I went for something like that.
I picked up the griddle that fits in the hole on the GBS and went for it that way.
The griddle is pretty small but I was able to do 4 at a time, a little cramped. That would be my only negative point on that issue.
Used the vortex and jealous devil charcoal.
I am 100% completely sold on that charcoal, it really does things I just cannot get other charcoal to do, I love it.
It seriously is hot and the cast was literally smoking hot. On the other hand when added to the smoker it burned forever at 250....I smoked ribs with it for around to 5 hours and barely used any at all ( in the E6 too ).
Kept the toppings simple, wished I had lettuce for the bottom of this but next time I will do better.
Just some dill relish and some mustard on a toasty bun.
Also may cut the cheese back slightly, 1 thin slice per patty was pretty heavy.....good stuff but a bit salty for sure.
Homemade russet garlic oven fries with smoky bourbon ketchup.

1621952829210.png
1621954446648.png

Finally my cook last night. This one was the best. Picanha....or Sirloin tip, same cut. Cut the entire cap off, its was pretty firm and could almost be peeled off. Generally when I cook this cut the fat is way to hard to chew through, but I leave it on for cooking purposes only. So with no fat cap on it came out what seems to be the same. If it was cut to steaks before cooking I probably would leave it on there.
Seasoned with a prime rib rub and ground salt.
Used 1 hunk of furtado hickory.
Indirect, at about 250 for as long as it takes to get to hit about 120 degrees or so, get the jealous devil hot hot hot and get some sear on it.
Pretty good sear on the Weber standard grill in a bout 1 minute.
Let it rest under loose foil for 5 to 10 minutes made a creamy horseradush sauce, paired it with a baked potato and sour creme.
I couldn't stop nibbling after the meal was done.
If you haven't made this cut and cooked it like a roast you need to try and find one.
Usually about 2.5 to 3 lbs is all they are. Runs me about $30 or less each time. Prime grade isn't even required.

1621960484458.png
1621960500070.png
1621960515230.png1621960534281.png

1621960547872.png
1621960570679.png

1621960583590.png1621960595648.png

Darryl,
All three cooks look great, but I agree the last takes the show! How are you liking the E6? How was the first go with the Rotisserie?
Everything on all these cooks went great. I did open the vents a bit when adding charcoal to the rotisserie and learned a lesson for sure.
I was running about 300 to 350 if I remember right on the dome temp before the temp increased. Well the skin got tight or too cooked, whatever it is and cracked a bit but was still mostly in place. It tasted good for sure but I think I can keep it closer to the 300 to 325 next time and keep it a little easier on the eyes. I got a lot of good tips from some people here that really made it better for my first go. I wish I got some pics but I just simply forgot. That picanha roast though, you are right.....its perfectly med. rare and its so tender it just pulls apart basically with a fork. I have 3 left in the freezer lol, I want one every week. Usually get some veg in there, I had fresh asparagus but neither of us felt like having veggies by the time it came to cook them.

I also ate the leftover breast form Saturday for lunch today and it was still very nice, moist and juicy. It really does come out a lot better than just sitting near a fire.
I have a nice 3.5 pound rib roast in the freezer I need to get on there sooner than later.

Back