lighting coals with less smoke plumes ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

simon j

TVWBB Fan
I have a Weber Chimney and found it to create quite a bit of smoke when going through the lighting stages with my sawdust pucks. I wanted to know if there is a method of lighting coals for my WSM or my W One Touch that doesn't create this "bellowing smoke" appearing in the sky ?

thanks
sj

What brand are you using?
Some of the compressed sawdust starters do throw off alot of smoke at start-up.
One of them suggests you wait until the starter is fully engulfed in flames before you set your chimney on top.
Tim

kingsford briquettes

i will try your method. I normally light the sawdust pucks, (which are torn in half) and slowly add my briquettes 2 or 3 at a time.

this brand

accessories_supercedar.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by george curtis:
kingsford do smoke a lot. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
This was my first thought. I use Kingsford Blue Bag exclusively and it always smokes (a lot) for a few minutes on startup...and that's using the propane starter on the Performer and not any pucks/newspaper/oiled paper towels/etc.

My guess is that it's the K and not the "starters".

timothy - a thin black smoke emanates, but it is more from the coal i think from what the other posters have said. i will change my briquettes and see report back to the board.

It's been quite a while since I used the BBK. But George and Don have a point, as I recall it does smoke quite a bit at lite-up.

I avoid any type of a starter product made from Conifer trees. Even though it states that it's safe for grills, and all natural, IMO it would leave an off flavor, sorta like using lighter fluid.

Weber starter cubes, or my propane torch is what I prefer to use.

Tim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back