Lid thermometer installation using hex bushing

Matt A 3

TVWBB Member
I finally have gotten around to posting pics of the lid thermometer I installed last summer.

The thermometer is an industrial bi-metallic with 3-inch dial I bought from Grainger. It has a standard NPT thread. I bought the bushing from the same place. I also needed a big washer for the inside of the lid. I put a small washer on the outside of the lid too.

I also bought a threaded plug to insert when the thermometer is removed.

I like this installation because it facilitates very easy removal of the thermometer when it is not in use. I installed a bushing in my gas grill so that I can use the same thermometer in the gasser too. It is truly a swap-in / swap-out setup.

Note this requires drilling a larger hole than the installation Chris describes on the main site. It also causes the thermometer dial to stand about a half inch higher off the surface of the lid (because the beginning of the bushing’s interior thread is not flush with the lid and also the thermometer does not screw in all the way since the NPT thread gets narrower at the end).

Pics attached (first time posting pics so hopefully this works):

Completed installation

Side view

View with thermometer removed

View with plug in place

Inside of lid (interior of bushing installation)

Bushing in gasser

Cheers,
Matt

I'll tell you before someone else does take the handle off and turn it so the Weber reads the right way. That's what they told me when I did mine. Nice clean install great job. Looks good.

Back