Kettle rotisserie recipe ?

Neil Grant

TVWBB Fan
planning to use my rotisserie for the first time this weekend. any recommended beef cuts for this first try ?

and for roasts, two banks of coals ? or direct, high, heat ?

I've done this once before, but my rotisserie for my gasser is busted. It was good. I think I originally found on the about.com web site as a result of the google search.

I ignored the times and go by temp. I like mine Med. Rare. Pull it off at 125 and rest it for 10 mins. I sliced mine up for sandwiches. I also did not use rosemary as I'm not to crazy about it.

Ingredients:

1 4 to 5 pound eye round of beef
3 cups white wine
2 onions, sliced
3/4 cup oil
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 tablespoons butter
1 tablespoon salt
1 tablespoon black pepper
1 teaspoon rosemary
1 teaspoon celery seeds
1 teaspoon thyme
1 teaspoon sage

Preparation:
Combine wine, oil, garlic and herbs together. Place beef roast, onions in a large resealable bag. Pour marinade mixture over top and seal. Refrigerate for up to one day. Preheat grill. Place roast on rotisserie spit making sure to get it as balanced as you can. Secure tightly and place on grill over a high heat. Reduce heat, or move coals away from roast after 15 minutes. Continue cooking until done, about 1 hour 45 minutes. Meanwhile pour 2 cups of the marinade into a saucepan. Bring to a boil. Remove from heat and add butter. Baste roast with mixture every 30 minutes during the cooking time.

Check out this thread on my Prime Rib Cook... it came out spectacular.

The cool thing you'll find about using the rotis over charcoal is that less is more. I've been spinning chickens this past week and it's amazing how good just plain salt and pepper works. You don't need to get fancy with it. The fired flavor and the great carmelization you get pretty much does all you need.

I've found that for most things, it seems coals on one side does the trick. I've done it both way a couple of times with whole chickens and it just seems to be better banked on one side only. It could be that I need to do the dual side better, but I'm sticking with what works for now.

I've done ribs with the Rib-o-lator attached and I've done both sides and that seemed to work best. Most folks here seem to use single side banked coals when doing cuts of beef... at least from what I can tell. I've had great luck so far with everything I've spun... so I'm sure you will too.

Just throw some coals in there and let it rip. You won't be disppointed.

Here's a great site... www.dadcooksdinner.com

Back