kettle overhaul.

Status
Not open for further replies.

George Curtis

TVWBB Olympian
well i'm over hauling two kettles, both with 3 vents on the bottom. one has been going on for over a year. so now i want to finish them both up. i was cleaning the aluminum legs with 0000 steel wool. kind of gives a dull shine. then i went over them with a polishing cotton stuff and after wiping they look great. anyone know what to put on to protect the shine and alunminum from getting scuzy again ? thanks,

If they need to be replaced and you're handy with a hack saw, hammer, drill, etc., go to Home Depot or Lowes and get a shower curtain rod (1" dia.) Material comes in aluminum, brass, stainless steel, etc. ($6 - $200)

as to the legs, i just rubbed some lube with teflon and then wiped it off. seems to be ok so far. i cleaned up the outside of the older kettle that had the porcelain cracks from the heat. not to bad. but i noticed that the porcelain seems to be stained. no amount of cleaner and rubbibg with steel wool will make a differance. interesting. besides all that the kettle is looking close to new.

grrrrrrrr, i put the legs on and forgot the springs !! will do it again friday when i cool off
icon_redface.gif
icon_mad.gif

i don't need no stinkin instructions !
icon_biggrin.gif
actually before i did that "mod", yea, thats what i'll call it, i kept telling myself not to forget the springs. gotta start listening to myself.

Originally posted by Robert Black:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by george curtis:
grrrrrrrr, i put the legs on and forgot the springs
icon_redface.gif
icon_mad.gif
Thanks! I always wondered what those numbers were for on instruction pages.
icon_rolleyes.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

ok, got the springs on, no biggy. been wire wheel cleaning the ash catcher trays. then i sand them, then i smooth them out with steel wool, then i polish them up a bit with bon ami and then finish them off with a spray of pam that i then buff off. clean and shiny. they look great and i saved myself 12.00 bucks each. i plan on keeping up with this so i don't have to repeat this process again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back