kettle brisket

Status
Not open for further replies.

Glenn Fleming

TVWBB Fan
gonna do a lb brisket flat on my kettle for the big smoke.. tried the overnight last year and my girlfriend says NO way this year.. it was quiet the experience.. any helpful hints for a kettle flat??

glenn in SC

You can do it, though you're looking at 6-8 hours tops with your burn times. That means a refill or two with charcoal.

Search around here for the high-heat method. Works very well in a kettle and you're done in 4 hours.

Glen,

Search this form for the "Mini Minon method" for long low and slow cooks on your kettle.
You'll need a couple of fire bricks but this is an option.

Good Luck

I've never done just a flat, but I've done many packers in my kettle. I actually find the kettle easier to work with than the WSM assuming you have a hinged grate.

My only advice would get to get some fire bricks so you can pack in enough coals to not have to reload...though reloading with the hinged grate isn't a big deal at all. But still...one less thing.

I also like high heat, but again, I've only done full packers.

thanx folks going too the butcher thurs.. looking forward too the kettle smoke. gonna stick too the 250 range packing the firebrick side full, got some nice oak and apple chunks and a lotta sierra nevada too go!!

glenn in SC

well scored a 9.5lb packer brisket, little bigger than i was looking for my kettle smoke, but lotta fat too trim and it is a go.. 2.99 per pound. only question is whether i will use the wicked good lump or go with some stubbs natruaL briquettes.. got bout 4 hours outta the briquettes last time, may try the lump packed and Minion it.. should be fun.. hope too have the new Sierra Nevada Harvest Southern Hemispere in hand by sat!!!

glenn in SC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back