Just got a Digi-Q 2

WB Zipf

TVWBB Pro
I have a WSM 18.5, and my first smoke with my Digi Q I started with 20 coals in the chimney starter. That was a mistake as my fire was way too hot and I couldn't bring the temp down below 260.

I have begun my second smoke with the Digi-Q, this time I started the fire with a butane torch lighting just a few coals. This time my fire started out low, my set temperature is 225, and it reached a high of 236 before falling back down. This is definitely how I plan to start the fire in the future, but I still need my Digi-Q to "learn" how to ramp this fire up so that it doesn't push it above the set point for an extended period of time.

If any one has any other suggestions on how to keep my temperatures from running away on me, I would appreciate your comments.

I did my 3rd smoke with my new Digi-Q. this time I started the coals the same way as last time , with a torch, but I got another run away temperature excursion. This time it got up to 270 before coming back down. The set temp was 215.

I am clearly doing something wrong, as I keep getting these temperature excursions. Any suggestions on how to avoid them would be greatly appreciated.

If all of the bottom drafts are closed, top full open, with a 10cfm fan the only air source, my 22.5 WSM will settle in really well for temps of 225-250F with the Nano. Does the DigiQ shut the fan down when it gets much past 225? It sounds like your fire is getting to much air and if that's happening with just the top vent open and all vents closed on the bottom you'll have to close the top vent some before the temps go by 225F. When you put your meat on the temps will fall again you probably know.
I probably use 40-50 briquettes minion method to start my charcoal. You did not say if your WSM was new or not so I'm assuming it's not.

W.B.

I have a WMS 18 1/2 and I use the DigiQ 2 Guru. I leave ALL my vents open except the top one, which I only open about 1/4 to 1/2 and I normally have no problems, regardless of how much fuel I have in the bottom. I assume you have plugged the two (2) extra holes on the bottom where the fan fits into ? Also, I keep my fan at "Half Open" during all cooks. Not to belittle you, but you know you can slide the "slide" on the blower to every how much you want it to blow. I ALWAYS use 1/2 open. It is more than enough for a 18 1/2 inch WMS.

Be sure, if you have loaded your pit with fuel, your water bowl is not sitting on top of the charcoal, causing a "leak" in the bottom of your smoker. I did that once, and learned a lesson. I do NOT use the "Ramp" feature on my DigiQ, for whatever reason. I just don't need it. I can put a brisket on late in the evening, set my temp at about 235 and sleep all night until I get up and check the internal meat temp of which I want to get to about 175. I then take the brisket off, wrap it in double foil, add some Dr. Pepper or grape/apple juice, wrap it back up and put it back on. I stick my meat probe through the foil and watch for it to hit 205 and take it off, wrap it in towels and put in an Igloo cooler for an hour or so, trim off the fat and then trim off what we are going to eat, and it's always been great. I just happen to to Texas BBQ Rub but I plan to experiment on other rubs soon also. For Briskets, Ol' Billl sells "Ol' Number 2 Brisket Rub", or "Original Rub" that I love. I have found his "Original Rub" makes a great rub for a thick ribeye steak also.

Good luck and it just takes some experimenting with each cook to figure things out. Not that it matters, but I use Stubb's Charcoal Briquettes available at most Lowe's stores. It's about $8.00 bucks for a 15 pound bag.

Happy Smokin'.

Correction, Correction, Correction. I leave ALL MY VENTS CLOSED except the top one, which I only open 1/4 to 1/2 depending on the wind and how things are going on the temps.

Sorry for the mistake

I highly recommend you invest $10-$15 bucks and get a "Chimney" at Home Depot or Lowes to start your coals. Takes about 2-3 sheest of newspaper and they get hot quick. Then Dump your hot coals into your fuel in the bottom of your smoker. You are wasting money on butane when you could use old newspapers to start your fire. If you've never used one, they are simple and great. You will have a chimney full of hot coals in about 10 minutes. Or, only use half a chimeny full and dump it into the middle of the coals (The Minion Method).

Good luck.

Back