Jumbo Joe Vent Scratch

R Cain

TVWBB Fan
Are there any updates on this issue? I put mine together aware of the issue and still had problems. Despite my best efforts I still suceeded in scratching a ring in the lid down to bare metal. I have read a couple posts where others had issues but the only fix I saw was a fiber washer.

Any other fixes? I did call Weber and as usual they were great and are sending me a new lid, but I would like to avoid issues with the new one. Any Ideas?

-rog

Did you try to loosen the nut a bit. That's what I did on my Son's along with the fiber washer. I think a small metal washer would work also.
I can't tell you how long that fix lasted, maybe a month, but his got ripped off (stolen):mad:
Did Weber offer any ideas?

Tim

Yeah the rep at Weber suggested loosening the nut as well. I think I will pick up a fiber washer at Lowes today when I score some charcoal. The problem on mine seems to be too much "curve" in the vent. The ourside edge just dug into the lid no matter what I did. I think I will try to massage my old one before messing with the new lid.

-rog

Update: I just recieved my new lid from Weber. It came with the vent already attached. I don't know how they do it but it's just right. Snug enough, and doesn;t seem to scratch a ring in the finish. As usual kudos to Weber for making things right.

-rog

Update: I just recieved my new lid from Weber. It came with the vent already attached. I don't know how they do it but it's just right. Snug enough, and doesn;t seem to scratch a ring in the finish. As usual kudos to Weber for making things right.

-rog

Seems to me that Weber found a mistake and went back to the old way which is the right way.
Glad it worked for you.:)

Tim

yesterday i went to orchard supply and looked again at the top vent. i actually took it off. yep, the stamped edge can be rough and sharp. and if tight enough will scratch the porcelain. so take it off and smooth out those edges with a bit of sandpaper and save everyone the headache.

This is a reply to an old post but I had the same issue on a recently purchased Jumbo Joe. Sure enough, I took off the edge on the vent and there were parts of the vent where the metal stood out sharper than others causing the scratch. Took a fine sand paper and it is very smooth now. It doesn't fix the scratches but if Weber sends me a new lid, then I know to sand it down as probably the only solution.

Back