Jealous Devil Bricks

Garage head count......................
320 total pounds of lump and briquettes............
The MRS keeps asking me why I need to order more in, I don't understand why she is upset?

I will use the JD Briquettes on July 4th for a chuck roast and see how they do. I have maybe 100 pounds of lump and briquettes together.

I used the JD Briquettes to smoke some ribs yesterday on the WSM. I didn't get any pictures as I was rushing, but used minion method and they were very clean smoke, very efficient and long lasting. Turned out really good.

I decided to email them and see what they say about my situation. I will let you know what they come back with. Todd
I just got notice they are sending me a new bag of lump XL to replace my bag. It took 3 weeks to work it out, but they are making it right for me. I am hoping this will be a better bag.

Todd

I just got notice they are sending me a new bag of lump XL to replace my bag. It took 3 weeks to work it out, but they are making it right for me. I am hoping this will be a better bag.

Todd

Holy that is pretty awesome.
I have a feeling you won't be able to come back from the JD lump.....before I knew I bought 3 of the high ticket bags of charcoal....
I tried JD first without any influence......I had a really hard time even trying the FOGO super premium and the Kamado Joe big block bag.
I did try them only to be disappointed............I have a few bags of stragglers that generally I just use them because they are small pieces inside and I sometime throw a few raw small chunks on top of a live fire for that charcoal flavor.....the green egg hickory is good for this but at $40 a bag once it's gone it is not being replaced.
I just checked stock with the store I order from and it seems they have restocked the JD lump again...better be getting an order together.....I need to last until the spring so might be 10 more bags or so....I should have about 8 right now.......doesn't sound like enough to be honest.
Let us know how it goes.....my last 50 pounds of JD BRICKS will be low n slow 8 pound plus cooks.

Just did my third cook with the JD Briquettes yesterday using some from my last cook and new ones. I really like them. The last two cooks on the WSM were ribs and they were both delicious (and probably the best ribs I have made) with some smoking wood mixed in. These might be the longest burning briquettes for low and slow (my go to has been B&B for LAS). They seem to ash less than B&B as well. Interestingly of note, the ash is a dark grey color instead of light gray with B&B and almost white with Kingsford. I am not sure the color thing is good, bad or doesn't matter, but it is interesting with the odd color. Overall, I am pleased with them and may reorder when my 2 boxes are exhausted. I will try to take setup and ash pictures next time.

I cleaned out the E6 on the weekend and last cook was low n slow brisket.....had to clean it up for high heat wings.
The amount of ash my JD briquettes made for one 10 hour ish cook is crazy.....mind you I use lump almost exclusively.
It's enough ash to warrant a dump of the ash catcher......using lump in the performer lets me go many cooks before I have to empty it. 10 - 12?
The value may be in the briquettes, which is what led me to buying 60 pounds of it...but the heat and flavor and easy clean up draws me back to the lump.....the lump however is expensive.

the lump however is expensive.
But you use less of it and recycle the unused portion. I don’t feel as it’s that much more expensive than say KPro. But the KPro produces like 20% ash. The JD Lump is near zero ash. I think I’m paying $38 USD for a 35# sack of JD lump.

I cleaned out the E6 on the weekend and last cook was low n slow brisket.....had to clean it up for high heat wings.
The amount of ash my JD briquettes made for one 10 hour ish cook is crazy.....mind you I use lump almost exclusively.
It's enough ash to warrant a dump of the ash catcher......using lump in the performer lets me go many cooks before I have to empty it. 10 - 12?
The value may be in the briquettes, which is what led me to buying 60 pounds of it...but the heat and flavor and easy clean up draws me back to the lump.....the lump however is expensive.
But you use less of it and recycle the unused portion. I don’t feel as it’s that much more expensive than say KPro. But the KPro produces like 20% ash. The JD Lump is near zero ash. I think I’m paying $38 USD for a 35# sack of JD lump.
I have not tried lump on a low and slow cook, only briquettes. I wonder how the JD lump would work on 10 - 12 - 14 hour cooks and keeping temps steady. Seems like briquettes are perfect for that LAS setup. I clean out almost every cook anyway. The lump works great for me in the vortex for high heat cooking. I have not had any flavor issues with JD or B&B briquettes (or Kingsford blue bag for that matter, back when I first started on the WSM).

I have not tried lump on a low and slow cook, only briquettes. I wonder how the JD lump would work on 10 - 12 - 14 hour cooks and keeping temps steady. Seems like briquettes are perfect for that LAS setup. I clean out almost every cook anyway. The lump works great for me in the vortex for high heat cooking. I have not had any flavor issues with JD or B&B briquettes (or Kingsford blue bag for that matter, back when I first started on the WSM).
I’ve only used briqs on LAS cooks. Due to their consistent size and ability to pack them in easily. I prefer JD lump for its flavor and nose on direct and indirect high heat cooks, say 350°F or higher.

Yeah the lump recycles like a champ.
I do it every cook, with the recycled pieces on the bottom of the chimney it relights very easily...it's superb.
I find after a low n slow any briquette...even JD that has been beside the heat or touched it basically still crumbles for the most part.
I wasn't really getting overly upset at the cost of the lump.....I do understand you get what you pay for.....and this is premium charcoal.
I was just pointing out it is a premium price as well.....where I am the price for a 20 pound bag is $40......about double what it costs you.

Last edited:
I have used lump before but it was a while ago, pretty much stick to LAS with bricks. Lump will work of course.

JD Brix have been extremely good for low and slow in multiple cooks for me. I held 220-240 for 12 hours overnight in my WSK and barely burned through any of them.

JD Brix have been extremely good for low and slow in multiple cooks for me. I held 220-240 for 12 hours overnight in my WSK and barely burned through any of them.
I would agree, I had to do the basket trick and use about 1/3rd less and still can get 240 temps for cooks as long as the sun is out.

Back