Jamaican Jerk Seasoning

BIG fan of jerk flavors. I use Walkers Wood Jerk Marinade a lot. The stuff is great right out of the jar, but once it gets some air in the jar, lookout. It ferments and can be pretty potent a second time around. A half empty bottle in the fridge for 6 months can be lava hot... Still loves me some jerk...

this is the only way I jerk

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> The stuff is great right out of the jar, but once it gets some air in the jar, lookout. It ferments and can be pretty potent a second time around. A half empty bottle in the fridge for 6 months can be lava hot... Still loves me some jerk...

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

This seems curious to me. I wonder how fermentation can increase the heat.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by j biesinger:
this is the only way I jerk

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> The stuff is great right out of the jar, but once it gets some air in the jar, lookout. It ferments and can be pretty potent a second time around. A half empty bottle in the fridge for 6 months can be lava hot... Still loves me some jerk...

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

This seems curious to me. I wonder how fermentation can increase the heat. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No idea as to the chemical processes involved, but after a jar has been opened, over time it increases in heat. I'll give Alton Brown a call and see if he can look into it. Check your local listings for his next Good Eats episode...

Back