Is this one of those grills?

Steve Hoch

TVWBB Hall of Fame
I keep looking at this grill, and now the price has come down enough to make it interesting. The question is, is this one of those grills that the stainless steel lid rots out?Screenshot_20210927-160542_OfferUp.jpg

There is an inner liner that rusts away. It’s not necessary to have it though, and I believe the earlier porcelain lids fit.
That’s a pretty nice grill!
Gerry

I don’t know of that problem on lids. I have heard some folks talk about how the all steel Summit gassers have it though. In that case, it’s the lower half, aka the cookbox that was rusting out due to being made of sheet steel (instead of cast aluminum) which could not stand up to repetitive high heat. The same way a charcoal chimney changes color from the excessive heat and eventually rusts and rots out. Hope that helps.

I’m not a fan of the plastic thermo-whatever Weber calls them- tables. They are plastic reinforced with fiberglass, and it sheds, especially as the plastic ages and gets sun exposure. Not something I want in my food, but that’s just me. I painted mine with textured spraypaint, but it only lasts a few years and will need reapplication.

Here's another picture. The cookbox appears to be aluminum. The inside of the lid appears to have rust or a lot grease. If the lid is interchangeable with a porcelain lid it may be worth it. Screenshot_20210927-171058_OfferUp.jpg

I’m not a fan of the plastic thermo-whatever Weber calls them- tables.
That is the thing I miss most with my new Weber compared to the Silver B that it replaced. Loved the space on both sides and the easy clean up compared with the stainless steel smear tables. Had mine for 20 years with no problems, but it was covered.

Those lids have an inner liner. They rust out. You can put a porcelain hood on it or simply rip out the useless liner and be done with it. The Genesis is cast aluminum cook box so no worries like Summits. And for that grill $59 looks excellent!

You can always take one like that and convert from the thermoset side and flip up tables to wood slats if you want to. That one will be a shallow cast iron aluminum cook box, should accept a porcelain lid, and with the side burner you get either a side burner or if you want to remove it another side table on the right hand side. I look at these grills first for a deep fire box (13 flavorizer bars, 5 left to right and 8 front to back) then for the long frame (side burner capability) and last for me is I prefer the "thousand" series, so my favorite model is the 2000. However, with that grill that is no longer available, you could have had a long frame and you can always replace the lid.

I'm not in the market for any new grills, in fact I have a 1000 promised out already after I fix it up. I have seen a couple free 2 or 3000s lately, which had been rare for a couple of years around me. I guess you have to play the long game to get the really really perfect one. Kind of like looking for a particular year of car that you might like. Or in my case Jeep. But I digress.

Back