Installing guru on WSM question

Rusty

TVWBB Member
I got my DigiQ yesterday and I am anxious to install it, but the directions that came with the Weber adapter said for me to drill a hole in the bottom of the smoker.... Uhh... I thought I would be able to use one of the vent holes to mount this. I am not one for drilling holes in things. Is it not possible to install it without drilling a hole?
Also, does anyone have any pictures of a guru installed on a WSM?

Rusty...Did you get your Weber adapter installed on your WSM? I have a DigiQ DX, a Weber adapter and a Guru 10cfm pit viper fan. The adapter simply bolted into one of the 4 vent holes in one of the bottom vents. Just a screw holding a directional draft deflector onto the round barrel that the fan slides into. No holes required. 5 minute installation max. Other 3 holes on that vent are covered with supplied metallic tape. Easy easy easy.

Rusty and Morrey,

I just went down to try to install my guru mount on my 18 WSM and noticed that the adapter diameter is much larger than my vent opening. But the adapter has a smaller diameter lip on it, which I assumed fit into the hole, but there is no way. (hole is about 3/8" too small) So I assume the adapter just sits over the vent hole and the pressure from tightening the bolt down holds it in place?

Also, in the directions with the adapter it says to drill a 1" in hole if you drill a hole. Seeing that the vent holes are only 3/4", I wonder if the smaller vent hole will not allow enough air in for the higher 350* heat smokes. Anybody have any idea or input?

Thanks
Kg

Originally posted by Rusty:
I got my DigiQ yesterday and I am anxious to install it, but the directions that came with the Weber adapter said for me to drill a hole in the bottom of the smoker.... Uhh... I thought I would be able to use one of the vent holes to mount this. I am not one for drilling holes in things. Is it not possible to install it without drilling a hole?
Also, does anyone have any pictures of a guru installed on a WSM?

Drilling that hole is optional. You can mount the adapter into one of the holes in the bottom vent then use the aluminum foil tape to cover the other two open holes. The option of drilling a seperate hole allows you to leave that otherwise used vent functional or not have to remove the Guru adapter when you are not going to be using the controller for a cook.

I have my Guru for several years and still haven't drilled that seperate hole and can get to 350 degree steady long duration cooks just fine. The 10 CFM fan can push plenty of air.

I use a guru on my performer so I was forced to drill a hole or use the top vent with the adapter.

I was nervous at first about drilling a hole in my grill, but after I did it I realized there are quite a few holes already in my performer (and rust isn't an issue anywhere).

I'd say that if you think you will be taking your adaper off and on a lot (meaning you won't be using the guru EVERY time you cook), I would encourage you to go ahead and drill a hole anyways. It's a lot easier than unscrewing the adapter and removing the foil tape each time.

However, if you ARE going to use the Guru every cook, then there is no reason to drill a hole. Don't worry about the size of the air holes. As r benash said, they are plenty big. I'd be surprised if you didn't have to close the damper to about half way even with the smaller hole in the lower vent.

Hope this helps.

Thanks Justin. I think I am going to drill a hole eventually. Any input on if I should drill the hole lower than the charcoal ring or even with it like where the vents are on the WSM?

Thanks again.
Kg

Keith...I just hate to drill holes unless there is absolutely no other choice. I know you can touch up places the paint chips around the cut, but it may never be just right and prone to rust in those places.
After using my DigiQ, I cant imagine I would want to seal the adapter hole off and use the smoker w/o the guru. Only situation would be if the unit failed to operate properly. I suppose opening the two other dampers would work with manual operation.
The Guru/WSM combination is awesome. A friend of mine, Garland Hudgins from Columbia SC, just won a best pork competition using this set-up. They are hard to beat!

Originally posted by KeithG:
Thanks Justin. I think I am going to drill a hole eventually. Any input on if I should drill the hole lower than the charcoal ring or even with it like where the vents are on the WSM?

Thanks again.
Kg

If you decide to do it, I'd call Guru directly and see what they suggest. Ask for Kenny (but you probably knew that already). He's really good about offering help on stuff like this. My port is even with the charcoal ring which makes the air blow directly under it, but they may have a different suggestion with the WSM than they do with the kettles. If you decide to do it, I'd recommend getting a step bit. We didn't have one and it was a little bit of a pain.

To Morrey's point, I'd also recommend using it a couple times in the vents before you do anything permanent (like drill a hole). You might find you either hate the thing and don't want to use it at all or love the thing (more likely) and can't ever see yourself NOT using it. In either case, you wouldn't need an extra hole in your WSM.
icon_wink.gif
...but it sounds like (from your use of the word 'eventually') that you were going to wait and see what you think before you break out the power tools.

Rusty,

Will those 3/4 inch metal plugs work in a 4 hole vent system like I have on my 2010 22.5 WSM? I noticed the ones on the post you linked were a 3 hole vent system.

Morrey,

I bought the 3/4" at a True Value Hardware store and tested it on 22" Weber they work.

They had Stainless Steel ones so they won't rust.

Thanks Steve,

I will look at the hardware store today and pick up 3 of the plugs. Just got a new access door for my WSM. It's a stainless steel door made by a company called Cajun Bandit. Impressed with the quality. IMHO, the access door supplied with the WSM is the weakest link in the chain. Looking forward to a cook rib cook this weekend to test out my mods.

Back