In praise of wax paper

I remember when my grandmother always put everything in wax paper. This was before the days of Saran wrap and Tupperware [I'm 64], and wax paper was where it was at. A few years ago I started using it for cheese. Before I put cheese in a plastic baggie I'd first wrap it in WP. Guess what? No mold! Now, when I buy a whole side of smoked salmon, I parcel it into three parts and freeze two. Before I foodsave the two to be frozen, I wrap them in WP, and keep them in it when defrosted as well - no sliminess from the plastic. Now, I'm wondering if it would help ribs or pork that was going to be foodsaved and frozen.

It's really great stuff.

I'm a little older than you Michael and I too, still use wax paper for many food applications. I agree, its good stuff!

My kitchen would be lost without wax paper. I use it for all kinds of things, mostly in food prep. When I'm prepping (chopping) alot of ingredients for cooking I'll put them on pieces of wax paper and when I need to add them to what I'm cooking I just pick up the piece of wp and dump it in and throw it away.

I use it for the spices as above as well as when rolling out pie dough. Always some in the drawer. Have to to remember that cheese tip.

Back