Ideal Rotisserie Cooking Temps

Al N.

TVWBB Member
I recently brought my dad a Weber charcoal rotisserie. Getting psyched for using it with my dad for the first time when the weather warms a bit here in the northeast. What I think we want to try first is a pork shoulder (bone in, skin on). Nice and tender inside (with nice hickory smoke flavor) surrounded with crispy crackling skin.

In searching for what temperatures a rotisserie should be operating at, it seems to be two camps of thoughts. One camp ranges from 300 – 350 degrees. The other camp seems to be high heat. The below quote is from the “dadcooksdinner” website that has a ton of recipes for the rotisserie http://www.dadcooksdinner.com/...isserie-poultry.html

That website indicates

“For any grill, your goal is high indirect heat, with temperatures in the grill between 400*F to 500*F. If your grill can't at least get to 350*F doing indirect heat, it's not powerful enough for rotisserie cooking. On a gas grill, if you need to, adjust the burners that are on to get in that temperature range. On a charcoal grill, that's where you should be with a full chimney of charcoal”

I know when I cook a pork shoulder in the oven, I go up to 375 – 400 degrees. Some recipes call for up to 450 degrees in the oven.

What is the recommendation for doing a pork shoulder (bone in) on a rotisserie so that it is not overcooked, but yet has crispy crackling skin. Will 450 - 475 degrees overcook the shoulder?

Much thanks for any advice.

AL

The link you posted gives instructions on cooking poultry, which I cook at a higher temp than I do pork.

I've never grilled a shoulder, only cooked them low and slow, but I'm interested in how well suited they are for cooking on a rotis.

Please let us know how it turns out!

I rotiss picnics bone in and skin of from time to time. Love it since I love the skin. I detach the skin and then reattach it with either the ez q or some twin to let the fat drain out and keep the skin crisp. I go a little lower temp at 275 to 325 at the lid, roughly. I baste frequently when I am doing it this way, usually with something oil based.

Clark

yes, i would try it. i havn't done one though. you can always lower the temp if it starts to look bad. i only put coals on one side.

Thanks for the tips. I think I’m going to try:

1) 450 degrees.

2) Score the skin to render some of the fat.

3) When the internal temp reaches 155, remove the shoulder and it should carryover to 160-165.

When the weather warms a bit and I get to try it, I’ll let you know how it went.

AL

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> If your grill can't at least get to 350?F doing indirect heat, it's not powerful enough for indirect cooking. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Patently false.

"Power" isn't necessarily required. It depends what you're cooking, and whether you are setting up with the fuel all on one side or on both sides. It also depends on whether you're looking for an even level of doneness internally, or a range.

For a picnic skin-on, I'd more inclined to cook at a lower temp, 275-300, and, if necessary for skin texture, raise the cooktemp later in the cook. Fuel on one side.

Me, I like the skin too. But I prefer the meat of the ham over that of the picnic. I rotis hams at 275-300. I score the skin well and use a paste rub. I usually don't need to bump up the temp for the skin.

George, yes, sliced pork. Not low and slow pulled pork. That's why I'm going with the higher temps. Trying to find out how high was high without being too high. Think 450 should do it. I'll let everyone know.

AL

wellllll, i'm kinda weird in that way but i never check my temps while using the rotiss. i just pile up a bunch of coals and let 'er rip. i check once in awhile to make sure it looks ok. after that i check temps till done. still working on setting my rotiss up to use a remote while running.

Just my opinion and I'm not an expert but slicing the pork doesn't mean you cook it at a higher temp. All you really want to look for is an early finishing temperature, about 160 degrees instead of taking it to falling apart at 190 - 210 internal. I still wouldn't really go above 325 (preferable 275 to 300 like I was saying earlier) for cooking and if I did I would definately foil......Let us know how it turns out!

Clark

I'm with you. Just thinking that maybe a loin would be better than a shoulder for that approach....Thinking a shoulder would end up pretty tough. I honestly haven't tried it though....

Clark

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Steve McKibben:
The link you posted gives instructions on cooking poultry, which I cook at a higher temp than I do pork.

I've never grilled a shoulder, only cooked them low and slow, but I'm interested in how well suited they are for cooking on a rotis.

Please let us know how it turns out! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Here is a butt I did on the rotisserie. It was one of the best butts I have cooked. I sliced it instead of pulling. I think I cooked it to 160 -170. I stared slow cooking but plans got changed so brough grill up to about 350 I think.
DSC03833.jpg
DSC03834.jpg

DSC03835.jpg

Joe: The pork butt looks great.

Quick question. How many lbs was the butt and how many hours did you keep it on the rotisserie to get to 160-170.

Thanks
AL

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Al N.:
Joe: The pork butt looks great.

Quick question. How many lbs was the butt and how many hours did you keep it on the rotisserie to get to 160-170.

Thanks
AL </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
That was a small one 3.5 to 4 pounder. I can't remember how long. I started off smoking with the smokenator and rotisserie combo then went high heat after awhile. Been to long to remember.
Thanks

Back