I Want Utilize More Grilling Space

Tony Catencamp

TVWBB Member
I need to cook a pile of chicken for a party. I would like to be able to use the entire grilling surface on my silver and gold kettles for grilling chicken pieces and still cook them somewhat indirectly. I was considering installing some tabs under the grate tabs to hold a 21" or a little smaller aluminum pizza pan with the sides flared up to retain the fat drippings. I would spread the charcoal equally all over the charcoal grate as opposed to banking it off to one side. I know some or a lot of the fat will vaporize, changing the flavor of the chicken some.

Has anybody done something similar to this or see anything wrong with the idea? I may skip the tabs in favor of a metal ring placed on the coal grate on which to place the pizza pan.

It might be cheaper to just buy another used kettle than the aluminum pizza pans and tabs. It doesn't have to be pretty, it just needs to cook. More kettles = more chicken.

My experience is more with BGEs than with Webers. Placing a buffer between the fire and the food is the "Egger" way of doing things. I have a couple of pizza stones that I use in my Egg to block the fire from the food. One of them gives me about 80% coverage, with just a narrow ring of exposed fire around the rim. The other gives me about 95% coverage. I do chicken indirect, with the pizza stone wrapped in aluminum foil and set about 3 inches above the fire and about 5 inches below the food grate.Works like a champ. I'm not convinced that the "thermal mass" is necessary for a chicken cook, like it is for a brisket or butt. I think you would be just fine with a pizza pan. In fact, I'll be watching this thread to see what your results are.

I usually will use my Rib-O-Lator on my One Touch.
I get a lot more chicken on the grill, and the indirect heat is fantastic. This video shows 28 pieces, and the trays are not fully loaded.

Back