How far can someone go for a Weber warranty on replacement parts?

Couple of things here...

In the 10 years I spent working on the Weber Americas Consumer Care team never once did I see a grill that had the tables get damaged by snow merely piling up on it, and that includes grill owner's in Canada where there is serious snow.

I'm not saying it isn't possible, but it would have had to of been an incredibly extreme event. Regardless, the warranty does not cover acts of nature, nor is the warranty transferrable. It is only applicable for the original owner of the grill.

#IworkforWeber

Couple of things here...

In the 10 years I spent working on the Weber Americas Consumer Care team never once did I see a grill that had the tables get damaged by snow merely piling up on it, and that includes grill owner's in Canada where there is serious snow.

I'm not saying it isn't possible, but it would have had to of been an incredibly extreme event. Regardless, the warranty does not cover acts of nature, nor is the warranty transferrable. It is only applicable for the original owner of the grill.

#IworkforWeber
Thanks for taking the time to reply John... Cheers!

I”ll pickup any Weber that’s not out of my way and is free. I get a few wrecks. This one had a tree fall on it. I talked to the owner and saw the tree and other damage. Much more severe than snow or ice damage.

I was able to salvage the base panel, cooking grids, flavor bars and a few small parts. I wouldn’t be comfortable reusing the manifold or valves from a wreck.

1720457647619.jpeg
1720457779151.jpeg

Couple of things here...

#IworkforWeber

To be fair, that grill seems to be in the vicinity of Tahoe, California. i.e. Donner Pass levels of snowfall, 30+ inches in a day. Yes, it does look like damage from a typical upper Midwest roof slide, but it could indeed be the result of feet of snow piling up over a weekend in the High Sierras.

Also, the Genesis II series (and later) side tables are not supported by any frame tubing, as in previous series. They are simply 0.8 mm sheet metal folded at right angles for marginal 'rigidity'. Here in Michigan, I've seen several Genesis II grills listed on CL and FBM with similar damage to the side tables. It is an inherently weak design, and the sheet metal buckling in identical spots on both sides is indicative of it.

I”ll pickup any Weber that’s not out of my way and is free. I get a few wrecks. This one had a tree fall on it. I talked to the owner and saw the tree and other damage. Much more severe than snow or ice damage.

I was able to salvage the base panel, cooking grids, flavor bars and a few small parts. I wouldn’t be comfortable reusing the manifold or valves from a wreck.

View attachment 95379
View attachment 95380

OMG... that thing was crushed!

To be fair, that grill seems to be in the vicinity of Tahoe, California. i.e. Donner Pass levels of snowfall, 30+ inches in a day. Yes, it does look like damage from a typical upper Midwest roof slide, but it could indeed be the result of feet of snow piling up over a weekend in the High Sierras.

Also, the Genesis II series (and later) side tables are not supported by any frame tubing, as in previous series. They are simply 0.8 mm sheet metal folded at right angles for marginal 'rigidity'. Here in Michigan, I've seen several Genesis II grills listed on CL and FBM with similar damage to the side tables. It is an inherently weak design, and the sheet metal buckling in identical spots on both sides is indicative of it.
I'd definitely consider 30+ inches a day to be in the extreme weather event classification, but you make a valid point about the tables on Genesis II and later models side tables not being supported by frame tubing. However, our R&D and QA testing hasn't reported any relationship to table damage in climates that experience snow vs. those that do not experience snow. Generally, damage to tables on Genesis II and later models is caused by mishandling of the grill in relation to how it has been moved, excessively heavy objects being set upon them, or some other external factor.

I'd definitely consider 30+ inches a day to be in the extreme weather event classification, but you make a valid point about the tables on Genesis II and later models side tables not being supported by frame tubing. However, our R&D and QA testing hasn't reported any relationship to table damage in climates that experience snow vs. those that do not experience snow. Generally, damage to tables on Genesis II and later models is caused by mishandling of the grill in relation to how it has been moved, excessively heavy objects being set upon them, or some other external factor.
side note: winter 2022/2023 storms dumped impressive snow falls in the Tahoe area. i can share that due to the weight of the snow we saw rooves semi collapse on homes and carports and we also saw homes with structural frame damage from those storms. in a bad way, is was one of the most impressive winters I've ever seen, and that's just 30 years in this region.

could snow have damaged that grill? maybe. if the snow was sliding off the roof and onto that grill, then the damage could definitely have occurred. but as the warranty states, that's not covered. and i find that warranty to be reasonable, to exclude weather related events. there's no way Weber can engineer a grill to withstand tornadoes, so why would extreme snow be any different?

side note: winter 2022/2023 storms dumped impressive snow falls in the Tahoe area. i can share that due to the weight of the snow we saw rooves semi collapse on homes and carports and we also saw homes with structural frame damage from those storms. in a bad way, is was one of the most impressive winters I've ever seen, and that's just 30 years in this region.

could snow have damaged that grill? maybe. if the snow was sliding off the roof and onto that grill, then the damage could definitely have occurred. but as the warranty states, that's not covered. and i find that warranty to be reasonable, to exclude weather related events. there's no way Weber can engineer a grill to withstand tornadoes, so why would extreme snow be any different?

Yes, the Sierras are at once scary and awesome. Aside from a roof slide, just the weight of 4 or 5 feet of snowfall during a 'snow event' in the High Sierra could easily put a static load of 85 lbs of snow on a side table or lid. I doubt a Genesis II side table can support 70 lbs without eventually buckling.

I agree, it is not a valid warranty claim... it's an insurance claim, which presents another dilemma.

In another life, I was a engineering tech rep for the commercial side of Trus Joist. Did numerus projects at the lake where I got to calc roof snow loads... and more importantly drift loads. I can say that static snow loads easily surpassed 150#s. On average, a cubic foot of settled snow weighs 20#s... that's a lot of weight. 1 or 2 big storms, things get buried and are not coming out until Spring.

In another life, I was an engineering tech rep for the commercial side of Trus Joist. Did numerus projects at the lake where I got to calc roof snow loads... and more importantly drift loads. I can say that static snow loads easily surpassed 150#s. On average, a cubic foot of settled snow weighs 20#s... that's a lot of weight. 1 or 2 big storms, things get buried and are not coming out until Spring.
Exactly. In IncomeVillage, the premium homes are built out of steel. Both frame and roof. Pretty amazing engineering to see when they’re under construction.
. it's an insurance claim, which presents another dilemma.
I’d advise no client to place that singular claim. We advise some clients, play stupid games, win stupid prizes. Winterize your home and store that grill away for the snow season.

View attachment 95379
View attachment 95380
Oh man, that FBMP find sounds rough!

Oh man, that FBMP find sounds rough!
Craigslist which is much more fun.

Anyhoo I knew it was rough up front. I am in constant need of small parts to keep my grill repairing business viable. So I was ok to help remove it.

The grill was only a couple years old and the gentleman was happy with it. He was bummed when it got taken out by the tree.

The grill was clean and rust free up to the accident. It yielded some good small parts. The major parts were not salvageable and the carcass went to the scrapyard for reincarnation.

Exactly. In IncomeVillage, the premium homes are built out of steel. Both frame and roof. Pretty amazing engineering to see when they’re under construction.

I’d advise no client to place that singular claim. We advise some clients, play stupid games, win stupid prizes. Winterize your home and store that grill away for the snow season.

Oh definitely not! That's why I said it's another dilemma. A grill would simply be an incidental item to include if someone filed an insurance claim for a deck collapsing and damaging part of the house, etc. Even then, replacement value would have to justify including it.

Back