Horseradish Coleslaw

Gerry D.

TVWBB Pro
I found this recipe a few years ago and it goes great with pork. This recipe is from Emeril Lagasse and it is killer. I added some extra horseradish. We were making sandwiches with the slaw and pulled pork. Oh man.

5 cups shredded green cabbage
5 cups shredded red cabbage
2 cups shredded carrots
1/4 cup finely sliced green onions
2 Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored, and cut into 1/4-inch cubes
2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon sugar
1/2 cup cider vinegar
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 cup mayonnaise
1/4 cup sour cream
3 tablespoons freshly grated horseradish or 6 tablespoons prepared horseradish
1 tablespoon Creole mustard or other coarse-grained mustard

In a large mixing bowl, combine the green and red cabbages, carrots, and green onions. In a small bowl, toss the cubed apples with the lemon juice and add to the cabbage mixture.
In a small mixing bowl, combine the sugar, vinegar, salt, and pepper and whisk until the sugar is dissolved. Pour the seasoned vinegar mixture over the cabbage mixture and toss to thoroughly combine. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 20 to 30 minutes.

In a small bowl, combine the mayonnaise, sour cream, horseradish, and mustard and stir to combine. Add to the coleslaw and toss to combine thoroughly. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour or overnight before serving.

If I'm not serving the slaw right away I like to salt the veggies and put them over a strainer to pull out some moisture as it will dilute the dressing as it sits. Just rinse before using.

Gerry D.

I made this one today and it's very good. Thanks for posting it Gerry.
icon_cool.gif

Made it again and really put the horseradish in it this time. LOVE IT! I did a scaled down, quick version, no apples can't taste em anyway and just mixed up the vinegar, sugar, S&P poured it over slaw mix and sweet onions, and then added the mayo horesradish sauce right after. Stirred it all up and in the fridge it went.

I'll post my modified version of this one, my best guess on the amounts. It packs a kick, guys at work love this stuff as well as I do. Great Stuff.
icon_biggrin.gif

1 lb. bag of slaw mix
1/2 of a med sweet onion sliced into thin rings, then 1/4rd
3/4-1 cup Hellmann's
1/4 cup Miracle Whip
1 TBS Hot Mister Mustard
1/3 cup cider vinegar
3 TBS sugar
1 tsp DC Kosher salt
1 tsp fresh cracked black and white pepper 50/50
1 tsp fresh squeezed lemon juice
1/3 cup + 1 TBS fresh grated horseradish, drained well. I get it from a local guy who grinds it fresh and is packed in vinegar. People here in Lancaster know the stuff. It's Long's Horseradish. He has a stand at Central Market in Lancaster and grates it right there. He also makes these too die for Horseradish Pickles. They are amazing.
icon_smile.gif

Back