Hopper hand guard grid

Jay D in Jersey

TVWBB Wizard
Am I the only one that has removed this useless piece of metal from the pellet hopper?
I put it in the same category as safety lock caps on laundry detergent pod containers and warning tags on extension cords.
PXL_20240611_201612537.jpg

Yes, I didn't like it either. I made my removeable since I didn't want to tuck it away somewhere and lose track of it. I removed the screws that hold the grid in place, found some nuts, and reinstalled the screws. Then I can set the grid on top of the nuts.

1718626787056.png
1718626845227.png

I had a Traeger Ironwood for a while. I removed it, reinserted the screws to the hopper, then "rest" the guard back in place. I agree that the guard probably seems useless but now that I have a Grandson I'm starting to think about safety features more than before.

I had a Traeger Ironwood for a while. I removed it, reinserted the screws to the hopper, then "rest" the guard back in place. I agree that the guard probably seems useless but now that I have a Grandson I'm starting to think about safety features more than before.
I get that. I've got a 3.5 year old granddaughter but she's never going near this grill at this house. More concerned about her going near the hot Broilmaster on the deck of our beach house.

When I had a pellet smoker I set it up so the guard would hinge on two screws and rest on two screws. It kept the parts with the grill so they were not MIA when I sold it.

Back