High Heat Ribs

James Harvey

TVWBB Pro
Hi All,

I have agreed to a Rib Off with my wife but the caveat is that they have to be done on our propane grill over high heat (no offset).

I don't even remember the last time I did a HH rib cook let alone how to do it right. Any help is greatly appreciated.

James

Why over high heat? I suggest reading amazingribs.com suggestions on cooking ribs on propane. You'll get her.

before I switched to charcoal I used to cover the lower grate of my gasser with a cookie sheet & cook on a rack above that real low. I'd suggest something like that to keep the flare-ups down, & you could also just use one burner on med or so.

I used to do ribs on a gasser. Not sure of your configuration. I had burners running front to back, so I could just light one burner at one side, put a smoker box on top of that burner, and do the ribs off to the other side. Did good enough. Not like on a WSM or kettle, but certainly tasty.

So we modified the rules to allow offset cooking but we only have 90 mins front to back.
I have a 3 burner gasser with a fairly decent surface area. We can get 4 racks of spares on the 2 offset sides and use the heat side for, well, heat.
My plan is a quick sear at 500+ then offset with a vinegar based mop every 15 minutes.
I'm using a light sprinkling of a spicy rub finished with a tomato and honey based sauce. I'm going to sauce them on the offset for the last 30 minutes.
I'll take pictures of both entries and try to post them blind to get your opinions on colour.

Quick aside, my wife does the grilling in our family. I have a habit of wandering during a cook so my end product is usually overdone.

James

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by James Harvey:my wife does the grilling in our family. I have a habit of wandering during a cook so my end product is usually overdone.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I had that problem too, before I switched to charcoal. Just a couple of weeks ago I went over to talk to a neighbor for just a minute, got stuck for at least an extra 20. We walked over to my garage to fix his widget & then I remembered the boneless-skinless chicken breasts I had on the grill, probably 3.5# of it, half rubbed with Penzey's galena street, the other half w/ the greek seasoning.

It was fine after being on there for nearly an hour when I'd planned on maybe 35 minutes. Even if you forget your tri-tip on there, direct, for 25 minutes it'll still be edible. Do I just build small fires? Hmmmm

Wow Clint. Boneless, skinless on for an hour seems like leather to me. Must have been a pretty small fire
icon_smile.gif

I'll throw on a few burgers or dogs, get a glimpse of my snowblower in the corner and pull it out and run it for 15 mins (or a half hour depending on whether one of my car tires seems low).

Needless to say, I end up making charcoal mostly.

My wife is the opposite, puts on the meat, picks up her cell and watches like a hawk. Brings a quality product almost always.

Anyway, we'll see what happens. Worst case scenario is I get a call from an old time friend then I'll be calling Swiss Chalet for a full rack of mush to try and save face.

James

I expected leather or char too, but every piece was eaten, & more importantly: delicious. Seriously.

I never had a nice gasser, so I'm sure there's some good techniques, but charcoal, along with a timer now n then works for me.

Back