Help plz, painting a rusted frame?

Steve Aeroman

I'm near the end of another Genesis Silver A restore of a severely-rusted frame. After disassembly, then washing with Simple Green & sanding off the rust while etching the remaining original powder coat, I wiped the frame surface with brake cleaner. Next I applied two coats of Eastwood rust encapsulator by rattle can, lightly sanded with 400 grit, then applied two coats of Rustoleum high-heat ultra semi-gloss black, also with a rattler. After 1 day of drying between each coat, the frame parts look great and I'm ready to reassemble the frame.

But, I accidently splashed some brake cleaner onto the final coat of HHU and was surprised by how easy the 2nd coat of Rustoleum HHU lifted off the frame when I wiped the overspray with a clean rag. I lightly resprayed the affected area to fix my mistake - all good. But, this made me wonder if I should "seal" that final HHU coat to make the paint more durable, before I put the frame back together? Do you recommend a final coat of paint sealer- if so, what should I use? Or, was my prep & paint technique flawed? - no ego here and thanks for your guidance.

I think it was just a matter of getting brake cleaner (which is a fantastic paint remover) on some fresh paint that hadn't fully cured yet. If you're satisfied with how the paint job looks, call it done. Reassembly of the frame shouldn't cause any problems if you are careful. I never apply any sealer or clear coat to the painted frame.

Great restoration job! You can skip the paint sealer for now if the grill won't see heavy use, but a high-heat rated clear coat for BBQ grills would add extra protection if you want it.

Back