Help Needed : Marmalade Glaze

Neil Grant

TVWBB Fan
Have tried the popular marmalade sriracha wing recipe here 5 times since last year and each time the sauce runs off the wings...no glaze ever forms....like the wings or sauce is too warm to adhere.

anyone else have this trouble, and what to do ?

All I ever end up with is a lake of sauce ikn my grill and nearly plain wings.

Neil,

Could it be the "timing"?

Are you trying to sauce / marinate the wings right away? If you do this, as the juices cook out of the wings, it will dilute the sauce and it will run-off with the meat juices / fat.

I made these twice, and both times they came out nearly perfect:

-Prep - foil the bottom of the grill before firing it up. Make sure to avoid blocking the vent holes. You'll be glad you did this when clean-up time comes!

-First get the wings crisped-up indirect, 45-minutes to an hour (while this is cooking, simmer the sauce)

-NEXT, dunk the wings in the sauce & put them on the grill to carmelize the sauce. Note that the sauce is more of a "glaze" - some will run-off & make a sticky mess in the bottom of the grill. The saucing is only done in the last ten minutes or so of the cook.

Hope this helps

actually, followed recipe to the letter....dipped in the sauce only at the end. Wings already cooked by then..but since they were warm and so was the sauce, sauce runs off almost like water no matter how many times I dipped.

Worked a little better when sauce had cooled, but still very disappointing that almost all sauce ends up in bottom of grill.

I'll add corn starch to my wing sauces. Never tried OMS but it works well with terriyaki hot & my habanero sauce, plus whatever else I might've tried.

Only done it once but I didn't have an issue with it. I don't think I had them on the grill for 10min though after adding the sauce.

Have done them several times using other preserves as well. Never had this problem. Based on your description and procedure I think it's just a matter of cooking down the sauce longer IMHO. I don't see the need to go to other thickeners for this, just cook down/reduce the liquid more next time.

Or maybe crisp/cook the wings longer to reduce the amount of natural juices present. Let the glaze cool down before dipping.

You can go pretty thick since as you are dipping all those wings in the sauce the natural juices (depending on how much) will thin out the glaze a bit. You might also consider brushing the glaze on instead of dipping.

Thanks guys....will give it another go this weekend. Had thought that once the glaze is well mixed and bubbling it's thick enough for dipping.

I just saw a cooking show on TV where they made a glazed pork tenderloin.

Process was as follows:

mix corn starch with a little sugar, salt & pepper. Generously coat pork tenderloin in cornstarch. Sear outside in a pan with a
little oil. Apply some glaze (maple syrup & molasses). Bake to 130*. Apply more glaze. bake to 138*. Apply more glaze. Rest. Apply more glaze.

They made the point that when they attempted the process with a tenderloin that wasn't prepped in corn starch, the glaze didn't stick. And it didn't seem to brown as nicely either.

Good bit of fat/juices in chicken wings, not so much in pork tenderloin.

But I never had trouble with glaze holding on tenderloin. Not knocking the corn starch thing, just saying I never had that problem.

Definitely should help/mix with the glaze.

Suggestion for the perfect sriracha wings...or perfect skin-on chicken for that matter.

1. Let your chicken come to room temperature.

2. Pat chicken dry with paper towels until such time as towels come off as dry as they went on.

3. Rub mega-generously. Put your rub in a plastic back and drop the wings in. Shake about until no more rub can possibly adhere.

4. Cook indirect at 300-350 for 1 hour.

5. Bring sauce to a bubble on the stove top.

6. After wings have cooked one hour, skin should be nicely browned, and crisp.

7. Toss wings in sauce, then put back on indirect for another 10 minutes.

This has worked for me each and every time. You can also transfer wings to a crockpot afterward and they keep pretty well.

Here's some troubleshooting too. If your wings are "soggy", meaning the skin doesn't firm up and is rubbery, odds are the skin had too much moisture in/on it to GET crisp. Instead, the wings more or less steamed. You may also pat your wings dry, and spread them out on a cookie sheet the day before, and leave them UNCOVERED in the fridge. This will help dry the skin out even further. Great tip for turkey-day bird too. Sorry I haven't been around much the past several months. Life's been in the way. Hope everyone's well.
icon_smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Clint:
Hayden, in step 7 has the sauce been cooled already? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Negative. The sauce doesn't take long to bring to a bubble. I start working on that right before the wings are due to be sauced. However, I don't suppose it would matter much, other than the fact the sauce thins out when warm, and thickens as it cools (byproduct of the honey I'd imagine).

Hayden has articulated the sequence very well. And is the best approach IMHO. It matches what I do and IMHO the process in general for this to work well.

You can change sugars, I typically do not use honey for example. You can change into a broad range of flavors that takes you into a wide range beyond orange marmalade.

But if you follow his process, pay attention to textures, thickness, etc you won't go wrong.

Well done Hayden. I think you hit on the key points that makes the original recipe so much fun to play with. Thanks.

When i do the Larry wing´s(OMS) i dip the wings @ the end indirect 8 min then dip again and indirect 8 min. Then enjoy the most sticy wings on the planet
icon_wink.gif

Thank you much Ray. I've made this recipe 2-3 dozen times. And, the best part is, I don't think I've ever made it the same way twice. I've used myriad rubs, I've used upwards of 10 different types of preserves. I've used different honeys. I've substituted the sriracha for the same company's chili-garlic sauce. All of them have been marvelous. I've absolutely failed in my attempt to go awry with the basics under which the recipe functions.

These are the best wings. Period. If anyone ever were to make these a menu item at a restaurant, I have no doubt they'd make a killing on them. Even a wing joint that serves the classic friend hot wings, would give themselves a run for the money if they offered these along side. I haven't made nor ordered a traditional hot wing since the first time I made the classic recipe as Larry Wolfe presented it.

Something else that needs to be added. If you do not line the bottom of your kettle with foil, beneath where the sauced wings are sitting, you are in for a fun time. That sauce becomes rock candy when it hardens on your kettle, and moving the arm that turns the arms of the ash sweeping mechanism (should you have one), can become an act of futility.

Back