Help getting started with Stoker log

d. wagler

I have a horizon classic and have the Stoker. I want to be able to monitor the cook through my laptop at my bedside, I still can't seem to trust the stoker even though it has always worked great. Is there a tutorial that guides you through the installation of the Stoker Log software, or a website to go to for the download? Seem to be having trouble on where to start. Also, how long does it take to get set up and working?

I plan to run a cable between the stoker and my wireless modem in the garage, just wasnt' sure where to get the software and how to configure. Thanks to anyone that can help.

Dave

I am trying to log on - using the IP address on the stoker, and I am getting an error - Unhandled exception has occurred in your application. Access to the path 'C/program files (x86)\AmirMsoftware/stokerlog\stokerlogtxt. is denied.

anyone help me out?

thanks

Dave
Jump to the end to see how I got it working

Amir
I just installed StokerLog on Mac Book Pro (late 2008) with Windows 7 RC 64 bit loaded under bootcamp.
.NET 3.5.1 was enabled from Windows Features panel. I figure this is fairly bleeding edge as environments go...

==============================
Here was my FIRST experience
==============================
1. Install options: Just me
2. Accepted User Account Control prompt
3. Run windows update to pick up .NET updates - none found
4. Ran Stokerlog - it came up fine.
5. Ran simulator mode
6. Selected "Simulate Input"
7. Unhandled exception thrown -- cannot access 'C/program files (x86)\AmirMsoftware/stokerlog\stokerlogtxt.'

************** Exception Text **************
System.UnauthorizedAccessException: Access to the path 'C:\Program Files (x86)\AmirM Software\StokerLog\telnet_input.txt' is denied.
at Microsoft.VisualBasic.CompilerServices.Symbols.Container.InvokeMethod(Method TargetProcedure, Object[] Arguments, Boolean[] CopyBack, BindingFlags Flags)
at Microsoft.VisualBasic.CompilerServices.NewLateBinding.CallMethod(Container BaseReference, String MethodName, Object[] Arguments, String[] ArgumentNames, Type[] TypeArguments, Boolean[] CopyBack, BindingFlags InvocationFlags, Boolean ReportErrors, ResolutionFailure& Failure)
at Microsoft.VisualBasic.CompilerServices.NewLateBinding.LateCall(Object Instance, Type Type, String MemberName, Object[] Arguments, String[] ArgumentNames, Type[] TypeArguments, Boolean[] CopyBack, Boolean IgnoreReturn)
at StokerLog.StokerLog.SimulateStoker()
at StokerLog.StokerLog.StartButton_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e)
at StokerLog.Stoker_Simulate.Simulate_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.OnClick(EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.CheckBox.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mevent)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.ButtonBase.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

************** Loaded Assemblies **************
mscorlib
Assembly Version: 2.0.0.0
Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.4918 (NetFXspW7.050727-4900)
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework64/v2.0.50727/mscorlib.dll
----------------------------------------
StokerLog
Assembly Version: 1.0.0.0
Win32 Version: 1.0.0.0
CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files%20(x86)/AmirM%20Software/StokerLog/StokerLog.exe
System.Windows.Forms
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll
System
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll
System.Drawing
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll
Microsoft.VisualBasic
Assembly Version: 8.0.0.0
Win32 Version: 8.0.50727.4918 (NetFXspW7.050727-4900)
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/Microsoft.VisualBasic/8.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/Microsoft.VisualBasic.dll
ZedGraph
Assembly Version: 5.0.7.40149
Win32 Version: 5.0.7.40149
CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files%20(x86)/AmirM%20Software/StokerLog/ZedGraph.DLL
AxInterop.WMPLib
CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files%20(x86)/AmirM%20Software/StokerLog/AxInterop.WMPLib.DLL
Interop.WMPLib
CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files%20(x86)/AmirM%20Software/StokerLog/Interop.WMPLib.DLL

===========================================
Here was my SECOND (successful) experience
===========================================
1. I opened the StokerLog shortcut properties
2. Under the Compatability tab, I set the Privilege Level to run this program as an administrator.
3. Ran Stokerlog - it came up fine.
4. Ran simulator mode
5. Selected "Simulate Input"
6. VOILA, everything appears to be working properly.

So it is a permission problem

=================================
Here is my THIRD experience
=================================
1. I opened the StokerLog shortcut properties and returned the privilege level to normal (dont run as an administrator).
2. I opened the Properties of two files in C:\Program Files (x86)\AmirM Software\StokerLog\ ... telnet_input.txt and StokerLog.txt ... went to their Security tab, selected EDIT, selected Users, selected Modify, then OK, and OK again
3. Ran simulator mode
4. Selected "Simulate Input"
5. VOILA, everything appears to be working properly - and I only had to change the permissions of a few files, not the whole application.

So the workaround is to ensure StokerLog can open these files - either by giving StokerLog Administrator privleges or by allowing all users to modify, read, edit, or write the files it needed.

You've got to love this forum had this exact issue, searched for the word "path" and found the work around, AWESOME!!!! I'm twittering my cook under Stoker_Ace today if anyone wants to check it out.

Back