Hello from Tampa! New to me 'older' Summit S-670 purchase - needs a fix. Please help :-)

Tammy Turner

Greetings from Tampa everyone! I found your forum while researching a cookbox replacement for my 'new baby.' It's in great condition, except for the small holes where the grates sit. Is there a way to repair it? Or do I need to break down and buy a new cookbox?

I'd appreciate any advice from ya'll, as this is my first Weber and I'm hoping to keep it for many years. I bought is pre-owned - it's a 2009 model.

Screen Shot 2022-10-27 at 4.08.41 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-10-27 at 4.13.59 PM.png
IMG_7368.JPGIMG_7367.JPG

Tammy, WELCOME!!!!! from a fellow Floridian.:cool:

Your gonna love it here. The people here are soo helpful!!

Hi Tammy and welcome to the club! In your research did you find a source for a new cookbox and how much was it? Replacing it is the ideal fix but I would also factor in how much you paid for the grill and if any other of the expensive internals are in need of replacement. On the cheaper end of fixes is fabricating a piece of metal that covers that area of the grill. The problem with that may be finding someone to do the work at all or for a reasonable cost.

Needs lower cookbox. You're at the early stages of boxrot. Look to see if the burner tubes have burned through the cookbox as well.

I just did it's little brother the 470. Register the grill on line, take pictures of grill with grates and flavorizers removed, call Weber, and ask for a warranty replacement for cook box and burners. As long as the grill is less than 10 years old it should be no problem. Then the fun starts replacing it. Here is the video I used:

As long as the grill is less than 10 years old it should be no problem.
I did not expeirience that 10 year rule with Weber when my E620 rotted . i was told only original owners get the warranty benefits.

please clarify and expand on your experiences.

I did not expeirience that 10 year rule with Weber when my E620 rotted . i was told only original owners get the warranty benefits.

please clarify and expand on your experiences.
Different models and years have different warranty periods. Here is the warranty from my 2014 Summit:
1666913415584.png

Tammy has two things going against her on a warranty claim. She is not the original owner and her grill is older than ten years, she said it was a 2009 model. I would still try and register it with Weber and get the cookbox under warranty though. I've seen enough people on this forum successfully file what I consider to be at best questionable warranty claims. These Summit cookboxes are an embarrassment and should be replaced regardless of time or whether you are the original owner. Let's face it, most people get rid of these grills just for that reason alone.

Different models and years have different warranty periods. Here is the warranty from my 2014 Summit:
View attachment 61714
  • Warranties are not transferable. They apply to the original purchaser of the grill only. So if your relative, friend or neighbor decides to give you their old grill it will not have any warranty coverage.

• Warranties are not transferable. They apply to the original purchaser of the grill only. So if your relative, friend or neighbor decides to give you their old grill it will not have any warranty coverage.
Weber does not seem to enforce that as long as the grill has not been registered before. Of course it is up to you to read all the fine print of the warranty and go by exactly the terms that the company wants to go by, or not. I prefer to try to get a replacement for a known defective part, than have the grill wind up in the dump.

Weber does not seem to enforce that as long as the grill has not been registered before. Of course it is up to you to read all the fine print of the warranty and go by exactly the terms that the company wants to go by, or not. I prefer to try to get a replacement for a known defective part, than have the grill wind up in the dump.
i agree with you but my point remains. Weber declined my E620 cookbox replacement. kindness only went so far with them. and i understand their point, regardless how much i wanted a free part. TY

i agree with you but my point remains. Weber declined my E620 cookbox replacement. kindness only went so far with them. and i understand their point, regardless how much i wanted a free part. TY
Did you register it and was it under warranty?

Greetings from Tampa everyone! I found your forum while researching a cookbox replacement for my 'new baby.' It's in great condition, except for the small holes where the grates sit. Is there a way to repair it? Or do I need to break down and buy a new cookbox?

I'd appreciate any advice from ya'll, as this is my first Weber and I'm hoping to keep it for many years. I bought is pre-owned - it's a 2009 model.

View attachment 61686
View attachment 61687
View attachment 61688View attachment 61689
Greetings Tammy! You will learn so much on here and find tons of help in ways to use your grill.

I'm right across the bay - welcome!

Back