Hello from Snowy Maryland

MatthewM

Hi all

I've recently bought my first Weber Bullet (18), and I'm looking forward to get started. Today I'm going to be cooking a couple of racks of baby back ribs, and hoping that the wintery weather doesn't have too much of an impact!

My current plan is to use try with the 3/2/1 method (we like our ribs falling off the bone) with Meathead's World Famous Memphis Dust Rub. I've read mixed reports about coating them in BBQ sauce during the cook, so I'm going to try one slathered with BBQ sauce and one without to see what we prefer.

I'll let you know how they turn out!

Hello from Sunny Florida.

Congrats on your 18” WSM. Post pics, we like food pics.

The 3-2-1 method is if your smoking at 225F. If you run hotter it might be 2-1-1 or 2-1.5-.75 it just depends on a few variables.

I apply bbq sauce the last 15-20 minutes of the cook.

Cheers and good luck with your first cook.

The 3-2-1 method is if your smoking at 225F. If you run hotter it might be 2-1-1 or 2-1.5-.75 it just depends on a few variables.

I apply bbq sauce the last 15-20 minutes of the cook.
Thanks for the advice, that's really good to know. I'll definitely keep a close eye on the temp!

Baby backs will cook faster than spares and St. Louis style ribs. BB might be 2-1-.75 at 250F.

I prefer to smoke ribs in the 250-275F range. Most of my rib cooks are in the 3-4.5 hour range.

I attempted to try the 2-1-.75 timings, but I just couldn't get it stay at 250 degrees.
I ended up stretching the cook to 2.75-1.25-.75, which still wasn't enough to get it where I wanted.

The outside temp of 37 hurt, next time I smoke in this kind of weather I'm going to try to get some more heat at the beginning. From 2 hours in I had all the vents full open, and it only hit 250 shortly an hour later.

Attachments

• after_sauce.jpg
    after_sauce.jpg
    184.9 KB · Views: 3
  • kettle.jpg
    kettle.jpg
    120.3 KB · Views: 3
I attempted to try the 2-1-.75 timings, but I just couldn't get it stay at 250 degrees.
I ended up stretching the cook to 2.75-1.25-.75, which still wasn't enough to get it where I wanted.

The outside temp of 37 hurt, next time I smoke in this kind of weather I'm going to try to get some more heat at the beginning. From 2 hours in I had all the vents full open, and it only hit 250 shortly an hour later.
Welcome to the group. You did not say what you were using for fuel. Lump charcoal will generally burn hotter and faster than briquettes. Also there is differences between brands. Just something to keep in mind.

Matthew,
Welcome, where about in Maryland are you? I live in PA, but work for the State of Maryland in Hagerstown.
As for the temps with the cold weather, adding to what Chuck shared, tells us more about how you set up your smoker. Did you use water in the water pan? Did you use a minion method for the charcoal?
When it is warmer outside I run with water in the water pan to help control temps, but since it has gone below 40 degree I have stopped use water and just foiled the pan. Due to the cold weather it cooks almost the same as with water in the summer.

Hey Matt - welcome to the forum. Rain and wind have a much worse effect on WSM operation than cold days with little to no wind. Not sure if it was windy during your first cook, but if it was that would have been a factor. If you look around you can find posts on setting up wind breaks to keep the wind from blowing your heat away. Also, adjusting the number of lit coals you start with for weather conditions is important. In broad terms, I start with more lit coals when it's cold outside, and fewer when it's warmer.

Welcome to the group. You did not say what you were using for fuel. Lump charcoal will generally burn hotter and faster than briquettes. Also there is differences between brands. Just something to keep in mind.
Thanks, happy to be here! I'm using the blue Kingsford briquettes.

Matthew,
Welcome, where about in Maryland are you? I live in PA, but work for the State of Maryland in Hagerstown.
As for the temps with the cold weather, adding to what Chuck shared, tells us more about how you set up your smoker. Did you use water in the water pan? Did you use a minion method for the charcoal?
When it is warmer outside I run with water in the water pan to help control temps, but since it has gone below 40 degree I have stopped use water and just foiled the pan. Due to the cold weather it cooks almost the same as with water in the summer.
I did use water in the water pan, about 1 gallon of hot tap water. Interesting point regarding not using water in the winter, I'll have to try that next time. I've heard it makes the cleanup much easier too!

I did use the minion method (or close to at least). I've been reading a bit more today, and I don't think I used anywhere near enough briquettes to start. I only had 10 briquettes rather than the third of a chimney as I've seen recommended for ribs.

Hey Matt - welcome to the forum. Rain and wind have a much worse effect on WSM operation than cold days with little to no wind. Not sure if it was windy during your first cook, but if it was that would have been a factor. If you look around you can find posts on setting up wind breaks to keep the wind from blowing your heat away. Also, adjusting the number of lit coals you start with for weather conditions is important. In broad terms, I start with more lit coals when it's cold outside, and fewer when it's warmer.
Thanks, happy to be here!

It wasn't really windy at all here when I was cooking, thankfully the area I'm using is relatively secluded. I think your point about number of coals is definitely a factor, that's probably going to be (along with not using water in the pan) the main thing I change next time.

Back