Hello from Redmond WA - Question on 2013 Genesis E 330 NG

GLandon

Hi Everyone, my name is George and I am new to Weber grilling and I am also unexpectingly new to Refurbishing a Weber Grill. So I moved from LV area recently and purchased a home, as a retiree I could be close to family. Previous seldom use Char Broil stayed with the LV home. So needing a grill I purchased (probably overpaid, $300) for the mentioned grill. I have purchased all new internal parts and I am fairly confident that I am up to the task of cleaning and installing the parts. What I'm not as confident about is how to deal with the rusted lid liner. My understanding is that while it serves a purpose it isn't all that necessary for a non-stainless lid and that no one makes a replacement liner.

So now my questions - can I remove the liner by taking off the external lid parts - starting with the chrome bands held with allen wrench screws, then the thermo and logo? Also, Would it be easier to just have someone cut out the liner with some sort of metal cutting tool? And third - am I missing any key points? Thanks and I appreciate your collective advise! PS - I don't expect to be a heavy user and I would like the grill to last me for the long run. 1696351733707.png

Welcome George.

You have a few options:

Disassemble the lid completely and reassemble without the liner. It won’t affect the function of the lid.

Cut out the rusted section if not too big. If the liner doesn’t sag you should be ok for awhile.

Cover over the liner’s rusted section with non galvanized iron based sheet metal. That would require some metal working skills.

Look for a free or low priced grill on craigslist or Facebook and salvage the lid

Try to register to grill with Weber to see if you can get warranty coverage. If metal flakes are falling onto your food that might be considered for replacement. Weber has replaced lids in the past so the worst they could say is no.

Welcome, George!

For the lid, keep an eye on your local marketplace listings (Craigslist, Facebook, etc.). I’ve seen new or nearly new lids for this generation of Genesis for $45-80. For a brand new lid, you can just use your fingers to unscrew the existing lid’s thermometer and bezel, and move them over to the new lid. The new lids should come with the logo and handle, but those can be moved over as well.

There might even be entire donor grills for cheap like @BPratt mentioned.

Hi George,

The SS liner is not necessary. My mom has a 2009 E320 with controls on the side, and it does not have a liner on the lid.

I'm not sure but I think the liner was added in 2011.

Other than the liner I believe the lids are the same size and shape and otherwise interchangeable.

It is hard to see, but the inside is enamel on this one below. it is a 2009 E320

20230719_190911.jpg

Update - Removing the liner turned out to be fairly easy . Once I took out off the handle, thermo and logo there wasn't anything else holding the liner in so with a little tilting it came right out. Of note there was a small piece inbetween the liner and the lid. Thicker metal piece My guess is thats its a heat shield for the benefit of not overheating the handle. So that part will stay along with the top strip of the liner which is functioning as a washer since the holes in the shield are too large for it to be attached with the existing screws. Now its a fairly straight forward process - disassemble, clean and install new parts.

Back