Hello from Northern Illinois

Mitch Lebo

I am located in northern Illinois (suburbs of Chicago). I am a satisfied yet frustrated owner of an older blue Weber Genesis Series 3 (controls on side shelf). I’ve owned it since new. Refurbished burners, flav bars, auto lighter, and upgraded to stainless grates over the years.
Unfortunately, the base is rusting terribly and I’m trying to figure out the best way to refurbish it without buying a new SS grill.

I am located in northern Illinois (suburbs of Chicago). I am a satisfied yet frustrated owner of an older blue Weber Genesis Series 3 (controls on side shelf). I’ve owned it since new. Refurbished burners, flav bars, auto lighter, and upgraded to stainless grates over the years.
Unfortunately, the base is rusting terribly and I’m trying to figure out the best way to refurbish it without buying a new SS grill.
Do you have pictures?

Without seeing it I would have to say finding a donor grill for free or cheap would be a good option for you considering you have a lot of upgraded parts in the cook box already.

Do you have pictures?

Without seeing it I would have to say finding a donor grill for free or cheap would be a good option for you considering you have a lot of upgraded parts in the cook box already.
Thank you. I’m keeping my eyes open for one. Problem is all the donors I’m finding are suffering from the same age common deterioration.

Welcome Mitch, the location of the rusted out spots on your frame will determine what grills you can use to replace those parts. I live in the same area as you do and see a pretty steady stream of used grills for sale that would probably work for your project.

Welcome to the Forum Mitch.
Is the rust all the way through the metal to make holes through it?

That would be the biggest determining factor, as you might be able to stabilize and refinish what you have.

Back