height modification

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey Dave, I saw a mod where someone used conduit to make new legs and raised the grill. I have been searching but I can't find it. If I come across it, I will post it here. If you raise it, the legs will stick out past the grill unless you bend them. Should be a faily easy task. Welcome to the forum!

I think Mac did this with his. I believe he used a shower rod. I'll try to find his post with it in it.

Here is a link to how he did it

Here is another link where they did a similar approach but made it shorter instead of taller. Sounds like they used a 1" shower rod.

Keep us posted on how it goes!

if its round tubing then find something that will work. if square then find the appropriate stuff for that. should either fit the id or od. then cut the legs and fit. i would drill holes and use bolts to hold it all together. thats the easy fix.

1" is what you'd need, or actually slightly larger to match the coupling's inner diameter.

i had a friend that had legs falling out regularly. we ground out the little nub in there and made up a set of legs that was this/close to the inner diameter of the coupling.

Without the dent in the tube; the tube being the same diameter as the hole that it fits into; and then you have 3 directions they are all pointed to... the legs NEVER-EVER fallout.

I was working at Weber doing this very thing, but i was gone before it was finished. they didn't understand how it'd work b/c for forever they had the semi-perf digging into the leg. they prolly shelved the idea.

Dave, The wheels used in this mod are 14" tall. They work great and I highly recommend this mod. As for the leg end of your Platinum, I would measure the OD of them and see if I could get some pipe that has the same ID. Cut them to your required length and slip onto the legs. Secure them with SS screws or bolts and you should be good to go. If your planning on putting caps on the leg extensions, don't forget to take into account the extra hight. When you do this, don't forget to share your progress with the rest of us.
On the note of the legs becoming loose and falling out of Kettles, I just give the legs a little squeeze with Channel Locks and shove them back in. I've had on occasion, had add some Aluminum Foil as a shim to tighten them up. (Didn't have any pliers handy at the time.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back