HeaterMeter 4.0 First Smoke In Progress -- Issues, Help

Eric Pierce

So i build my UDS and have a manual temp gauge in the side right under the top grate. I have 1 of my Maverick ET-73 (curved) probes though the top vent and the other in the Tri Tip. In the software i have used the ET-732 preset for both probe 0 and probe 1. My probe 0 (through the top) is reading 474.0 and the manual gauge is reading 250. Currently the offset is 0 for both.

Here are the probe coefficients:
A: 0.00053692398
B: 0.00019139599
C: 6.6039896e-8
Resist 10000

Any thoughts why this is off so far ? Right now i am basically smoking with the manual gauge and trying to get the HM tuned.

Thanks
Eric.

If you are using the ET-73 probes you don't want to use the ET-732 presets. Just the default ones. Or was that a typo?

dave

Dave,

I made the changes. With no offset, we are reading 430 from the probe 0 and the manual is at 215. Looks like in my post above i did not refresh and the offset was -99, so it would seem that we are still way off. I should add, at room temp, they seemed to be within a couple degrees.

Just an update, with 0 offset, the temp is set to 460 in HM, the probe 0 reads 460 and the manual gauge reads 227. It would seem that something is way off, i would expect some difference, but 233 degrees difference between probe and the manual seems excessive. I would also expect that the manual gauge is off a bit, but probably not more then 25 degrees either way.

Have you had the probe a while? I had one go bad (probably got it to hot) that did this. If you bought it as a set probes and termometer does it read the temp properly?

Well the good and the bad... I think the HM was correct or very close all along. The bad is my tri tip cooked at 400 degrees for 2 hours, i am thinking it's super done. I pulled the analog thermostat that hangs in our oven and put it inside, it's way more in line with the HM, only off by about 10 degrees. So my guess is that my new analog gauge on the side is messed up. I have shut the UDS down for the day and will smoke again later in the week. Same meat, this time trusting the HM and see what happens.

Thanks for all the pointers. JBond, just btw, everything is brand new, first smoke today.

Back