Grilling or smoking bream (bluegill)?

John Ford

TVWBB Pro
Anyone grilled or smoked freshwater panfish with any success ?
Went fishing with 2 friends yesterday for bream (bluegill panfish).
We were using ultralight spinning gear with tiny beetle jigs.
We filled a 48 qt ice chest in a little over 2 hours!
I knew it was a special day when my friend Zak hadnt finished but 1 beer a hour into the trip .
Usually we fry them , but my wife thinks I'm getting fat!
Looking for a healthier way of cooking.
These weighted about 1/2 lb apiece.

Also, Just my opinion but I believe that most common freshwater gamefish have too delicate of a flavor to smoke. Grilling is perfect though.

Sounds like a great fishing trip. Where'd ya'll fish? What kind of a lake/river is it?
Were they on the beds? I learned how to smell 'em when they were on the beds.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by James Trapp:
Also, Just my opinion but I believe that most common freshwater gamefish have too delicate of a flavor to smoke. Grilling is perfect though. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I never considered crappie a game fish. More a fun fish to catch, although I do see alot of other cultures fish for them (most times without a license).
I went out for trout this am. Although the water is to cold I still managed to hook a 6" rainbow.I think another week and the lakes will turn up here in the north east.
Now trout is a very fine fish either grilled pan fried or smoked. I've done them every which way. Pan fried is my favorite, grilled comes in at second and smoked third. Baked...last.

You might try grilling them with the "grilled fried chicken" method posted here not too long ago. It was very popular. If you ever fish the spillway of a freshwater lake dam there are days when you can't get the hook back in the water soon enough.

i will often pan fry in cast iron skillet with butter and fresh garlic. I did try to smoke pan fish one time and was not impressed.

Back